Floral Bomb Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy_Bugger

Reaction score
My next beer is a Saison. I want to put hibiscus and rose hips in it. The recipe will be something like:

2row
pilsen
caravienne
abbey malt
lemon zest

crystal and nugget hops 35ibu.
wy3711

steep, cool and add to secondary-
8oz. hibiscus
4oz. rose hips

How does that sound to you? I want the hibiscus and rose hips to be easily noticeable, but not overdone. Not really sure how much to use. I'll make a gallon of iced tea to get a better idea of how much to use.

6a00d83451fa5069e201630047fbcc970d-800wi

WebRoseHips.jpg

I have a pound of each. Any suggestions on using hibiscus or rose hips?

HA! Korean Poo Wine>Hibiscus Rose Sasion???

Seriously though, I have a mind to make a similar Saison. I was going for a table Saison with Hibiscus/Rose Hips and orange zest and dosing with Brett in secondary. Was wondering how yours turned out unless you opted on the Poo Wine instead?

I use 2oz of dried hibiscus in my Gose and it's plenty, provides a very nice balanced floral aroma. If this is a 5 gallon batch I think 8oz is way too much! I steep them for 20 minutes in a muslin bag at flameout.

I use 2oz of dried hibiscus in my Gose and it's plenty, provides a very nice balanced floral aroma. If this is a 5 gallon batch I think 8oz is way too much! I steep them for 20 minutes in a muslin bag at flameout.

Nice! Thanks man.

I used 8oz in a five gallon batch of Saison and, unless you want what is basically a hibiscus flavored beer-like substance, it was way too much. You could probably go as high as 4oz, but I would keep it well below 8.

Back