stuck fermentation or paranoia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buschbacher

Reaction score
I've got a stout (6days old) recipe calls for a one week primary and two week secondary but right now I'm not getting any bubbles at all. If all the yeast is dead wont that greatly affect carbonation? I'm priming with sugar and bottling btw don't have a keg setup :(.

Thanks in advance

I've got a stout (6days old) recipe calls for a one week primary and two week secondary but right now I'm not getting any bubbles at all. If all the yeast is dead wont that greatly affect carbonation? I'm priming with sugar and bottling btw don't have a keg setup :(.

Thanks in advance

Paranoia.

After 6 days, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was done with the active fermentation.

As for the secondary, you can if you like, there's a large discussion about secondarying vs. not over here.

I wouldn't bother with secondary. Leave it another week or two in primary. Then check the gravity a couple times a few says apart and if it doesn't change, you're done.

Hydrometer readings!!! Take one three days in a row, if no change you can go to secondary if you wish. Some folks don't do a secondary. I do & have never had a problem. If your process is sound, sanitary, and temps are within reason you're good.

hyddem.jpg

I have been a homebrewer for almost 7 years. I recently pitch a sufficient amount of yeast into my conical fermenter and didn't have any noticeable activity for 2 days. The unfortunate thing about a conical, is you cannot view the activity through metal like you can through a plastic carboy. Through experience, I knew that there must be something wrong, so I tried tightening all my clamps. Low and behold, my airlock activity took off! Just another lesson on not depending on "activity" for fermentation. Like everyone has said, take a gravity reading to see where you are.

I'm down 30 points from my og currently so I guess ill rack it tomorrow like the recipe said. I was just afraid that I might have to repitch

Generally,you don't rack to secondary till it's at a stable FG. Secondary is not for fermentation,just clearing,dry hopping,adding oak or fruit. Taht sort of thing.

I'm down 30 points from my og currently so I guess ill rack it tomorrow like the recipe said. I was just afraid that I might have to repitch

It's not a matter of it being down, it's a matter of it being STABLE. Check it again tomorrow, and if it's still the same, THEN it's ready.

Back