How do you Chill your wort from 75 to pitching temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
Eventually my tap water can only cool my wort down so much, especially during the summer months. Usually I just drop my carboy w/ wort into the fridge, let it sit, and then pitch the yeast once it's cooled down to pitching temp. But this time I'm thinking about doing something new -- what do ya'll do?

I use a rubbermaid tub filled with ice water, and hook up a pond pump and pump the ice water into the chiller, and have it recirc back into the tub. It works great, you just have to be patient and get the temp down before you start using the ice water, otherwise the hot water will melt the ice, and you will be left with warm water.

I do partial boils, so I just put some of my bottled top-up water in the fridge. That gets it right down into the 60's with just a few liters.

+1 with cooler and ice water with pump, i let tap water take me to about 85 degrees or so then switch my "Y" valve to the ice water tank and let that take the rest of the way to 70 or whatever pitch temp you want. works great and fast

Same problem here - 80+ degree ground water in the summer months. I used to use an after-chiller submerged in ice water in the summer months, but I grew tired of purchasing large bags of ice and the lowest temperature I could obtain was ~70F.

I now do the same thing you do - drop the temp to ~80F and let it sit in my converted upright freezer for 30 minutes to an hour to reach the target pitching temperature (65F - 70F).

Sorry, no new suggestions...

Last summer I used a pond pump to recirc ice water through the chiller to get it down. So far this year I have just chilled it as low as I can go (around 85*F right now since it's about 100*F outside) and put it in the fermentation chamber with lots of ice packs. It takes about 2-3 hours to get down to pitching temp, which suits me just fine. As the ground water temp continues to rise in July and August I'll probably end up going back to the pond pump method but it is a pain to have to go buy ice.

I do partial boils, so I just put some of my bottled top-up water in the fridge. That gets it right down into the 60's with just a few liters.

I'm just asking out of curiosity here...is bottled water safe to just mix with wort? Does it have to be boiled first or have you had good experience just opening and adding?

Apologies for hijacking! :eek:

-Tripod

I'm just asking out of curiosity here...is bottled water safe to just mix with wort? Does it have to be boiled first or have you had good experience just opening and adding?

Apologies for hijacking! :eek:

-Tripod

I have had no problems using bottled top off water as of yet. I now do full boils so I don't top off much anymore. YMMV.

If I get my wort down below 80, I'll go ahead and pitch and then toss into the fermentation fridge. Today though, my CFC only got it down to 84 b/c it's so hot outside, so about halfway through transfer to my bucket, I put it in a trash can with some ice and water while it continued into the fermenter and by the time transfer was complete, the wort was at 73. Good enough in my book.

For the Blichmann Therminator, they recommend the following for hot climates:

Brewers in southern climates have a particular challenge chilling wort due to the elevated ground water temperature. Although 58F water is easily attainable in most of the country during the Fall/Winter/Spring brewing season, this is not usually the case in the South, particularly in the summer when cooling water temperatures can exceed 80F in the summer, making chilling wort to the ideal temperature (68F) impossible.

However, the incredible cooling capacity and efficiency of the Therminator chiller will allow chilling wort much closer to ground water temps, at faster rates, and using less water than any chiller on the market. Obviously, wort flow rate and wort outlet temperature are trade-offs. A good rule of thumb (assuming 5gpm of water flow) is that the Therminator will chill about 3-5oF above the cooling water temperature at moderate wort flow rates (about ¾-1gpm), and about 10oF above the cooling water temperature at higher wort flow rates (about 1.5-2 gpm). Chiller performance is not linear, so it is difficult to predict exact performance at conditions not shown in the graph above. Bear in mind that the performance graph is based on cooling the wort to 68F.

If your cooling water is still too warm to cool to your desired wort temperature, you will need to use an immersion chiller in an ice-bath in conjunction with your Therminator chiller to lower the cooling water temp the additional degrees. Simply place a 1/2" or 5/8" diameter copper coil in-line with the cooling water hose (prior to entering the chiller) and immerse the coil in an ice bath to "pre-chill" the cooling water temperature. Since the Therminator chiller is so fast, much less ice will be consumed in comparison to other chillers.

I wonder how breweries in hot climates further reduce the temperature after the wort has passed through the plate heat exchanger? They probably just turn their glycol tank chillers on high to reach the target temperature.

I wonder how breweries in hot climates further reduce the temperature after the wort has passed through the plate heat exchanger? They probably just turn their glycol tank chillers on high to reach the target temperature.

They have a cold liquor tank where water can be cooled with the glycol chiller. That cold water is circulated through the heat exchanger and the hot water coming out is then used to clean the kettle and mash tun.

DSCN0469.jpg

. . . drop the temp to ~80F and let it sit in my converted upright freezer for 30 minutes to an hour to reach the target pitching temperature (65F - 70F).

Sorry, no new suggestions...

It's new to me. Great idea. One of those DUH moments followed by "why didn't I think of that". Ice is cheap but it gets old. Great comment, thanks!

To avoid the hassle of ice, you may want to try freezing water bottles and just dropping them in to your chilling vessel -- afterwards refreeze and you are good to go for next time. Just need freezer space. I'll try using some ice and see how it goes -- thanks as always, guys!

Back