White IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTuna

Reaction score
I recently visited the Harpoon brewery in Boston and got to try some fresh White IPA from their 100 Barrel series. This beer is really good, clean, refreshing and has a great citrusy hop finish. Actually, my wife loves this beer so much she went out a bought a case of it! Anyway, here's what I came up with....

White IPA
16-E Belgian Specialty Ale
Author: Kevin
Date: 12/5/12

Size: 10.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 219.67 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.066 (1.026 - 1.120)
|==============#=================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.016 (0.995 - 1.035)
|================#===============|
Color: 5.87 (1.0 - 50.0)
|=========#======================|
Alcohol: 6.49% (2.5% - 14.5%)
|=============#==================|
Bitterness: 47.0 (0.0 - 100.0)
|===============#================|

Ingredients:
15.0 lb Belgian Pils
7 lb Belgian Wheat Malt
.5 lb Victory® Malt
2 lb Wheat Flaked
.5 lb Oats Flaked
2.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
2.0 oz Citra™ (12.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1.0 oz Simcoe® (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1.0 oz Citra™ (12.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.5 oz Corriander crushed - steeped after boil
2 oz Orange zest - steeped after boil
2.0 ea WYeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit™

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.15

That looks really good! The Citras will give it a nice smooth fruity bitterness and flavor. The best Wit I ever had was a friend's homebrew and he used the same yeast.

Looks good! A very "smoooth" grain bill for sure! A little curious about the Cascade choice for bittering with Simcoe as a finishing hop. Intentional, or backwards? I've never finished with Simcoe, so it may be great (?), but 1oz of Simcoe at 60min would easily replace the 2oz cascade.

I've used simcoe once before for Aromatics and I really liked it. I like the grapefruity taste of the cascade so that's why I'm looking to bitter with it. Maybe it's a bit backwards but i'm willing to give it a shot. This is, unless someone has tried this and it turns out that it's a terrible idea haha

That's why a lot of us got into this hobby to begin with. Tired if other people telling us what we like! lol Look forward to hearing how it goes!

Back