What is the best way to aerate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTexan

Reaction score
I am trying to get my mind wrapped around the aeration process. What is the best way to aerate and is it something I can get anywhere are do I need to go to a brew store?

The best way is probably with an oxegyn tank. The easiest way is pour the wort into your fermenter. I drain my kettle and let the wort fall into the fermenter from a foot or two this seems to aerate the wort quiet well. I am sure others will give you more ideas.

There will probably be many responses as to what is the "best" method of aeration. Some people, (like the previous poster) use an oxygen tank and an aquarium filter stone. Other people use an aquarium pump and stone, but with plain air, instead of oxygen. Many people like to pour the wort back and forth between the kettle and fermenter a few times.

I have a large restaurant spoon that has about 30 holes in it. After pouring the wort into the fermenter (using the splash/pour method), I like to aggressively stir the wort with the "holy spoon" until it is frothy and foamy. Then I pitch the yeast. This method has worked very well for me, even on high gravity batches. I have fermented a Tripel that started at 1.080, and a Russian Imperial Stout that started at 1.092 using this technique with no problems whatsoever.

I like the paint mixer idea attached to a drill. I tried three different ways, shaking my carboy, aquarium pump with in line sanitary filter to a stainless steel diffuser, & finally an oxygen tank directly to my stainless steel diffuser. They all work, but the oxygen is the easiest & fastest acting by far. I bought an oxygen tank from a gas supply company (small 20cf bottle) as well as a regulator with a ferrule that allows me to attach a hose to it. I sanitize the diffuser & the hose, drop it in & blast my wort for 30-45 seconds, done. The first time I used it, my fermentation began within minutes & it was aggressive. Here's a video of that fermentation:

[ame]http://youtu.be/TtRcZ5KZY8I[/ame]

the75 said:
I like the paint mixer idea attached to a drill. I tried three different ways, shaking my carboy, aquarium pump with in line sanitary filter to a stainless steel diffuser, & finally an oxygen tank directly to my stainless steel diffuser. They all work, but the oxygen is the easiest & fastest acting by far. I bought an oxygen tank from a gas supply company (small 20cf bottle) as well as a regulator with a ferrule that allows me to attach a hose to it. I sanitize the diffuser & the hose, drop it in & blast my wort for 30-45 seconds, done. The first time I used it, my fermentation began within minutes & it was aggressive. Here's a video of it:

Video Link: http://youtu.be/TtRcZ5KZY8I

Where did you get you stone from and is it a stainless steel stone?

Yes, stainless steel. .2 micron from my LHBS, but u can order them online for about $15.

Oxygen tank is suppose to give the max oxygen compared to the aquarium pump or shaking/mixer methods.I like shaking it every hour or two . I just use a paint mixer but i get a good foam pouring it through a strainer but i still mix for about 5 min. I would like to try the oxygen system some day.

Williamsbrewing.com oxygen aeration system with the wand, stone, hose, and regulator. Well worth the price IMO.

Those dont have a filter?Or need a filter? And how much are those oxygen tanks at hardware stores? Do you only aerate it once at first or do you keep it in and aerate again (think i read something about that) ?, after a few hours or hour or whatever?

My first batch I just poured the wort into my fermentor from a good 3 feet up. Splashed out a lot by mistake. Second batch I got lazy and poured it in my fermentor, made some clips and attached them to my power drill and spun the monkey like mad, lotta bubbles.

Those dont have a filter?Or need a filter? And how much are those oxygen tanks at hardware stores? Do you only aerate it once at first or do you keep it in and aerate again (think i read something about that) ?, after a few hours or hour or whatever?

Just once. It's pure oxygen. These smaller kits will do the trick just fine & I almost bought one just like it. I decided to go for the bigger tank because it was more cost effective in the long run. These smaller tanks run out much quicker than the welding sized tanks.

I've poured my beer back and forth between two buckets. It seems to be effective, but it is quite messy as I tend to splash a lot of beer as I'm doing it. Of course, I've also usually got around a 6 pack in me so that doesn't help on the accuracy of pouring the beer...

I do think I'm going to invest in a paint mixer drill bit though for my future brews. Seems like it would be just as effective as my pouring method but far less messy...

I just let my wort fall freely into the fermenter through a funnel then cap the carboy and shake the $4!+ out of it for 45 seconds. According to a rep at wyeast shaking anything over 45 seconds is a waste of time. Seems to work well as I've had no problems to this point and I'm on my 5th batch.

Funnel into the carboy + shaking seems to work well. I haven't had yeast quit early on me yet. I think the quality and quantity of yeast is a lot more important than the quality of aeration.

I use a wide mouth funnel with a screen filter on it, and it works wonders, the only PITA is when the hops and trub block the filter, then you just scrape it with a spoon. A good side effect is a cleaner fermenter in the end with less sediment.

I just would have a hard time justifying a $50+ investment in an oxygen aeration system, because it doesn't have any benefit besides saving time. I got a hydrometer because it saved beer, and that was my 56$ investment.

Back