I haven't purchased beer in a long time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don223

Reaction score
I used to drink Miller High Life and Miller Genuine Draft. I even went with a 1/2 barrel setup on tap. Me and my friends were living it up. (or so we thought)
Yea, I tried home brewing 15 years ago but always went back to the mass produced beers.
For the past 2 years I've been brewing extract kits from NB (have a local store nearby!!!) and have keep 2 or 3 kegs on tap at all times. I try to keep a light, medium, and heavy style on tap for whatever my mood is or who is over. I truly enjoy brewing the beer as much as I enjoy drinking and sharing the beer.
I just realized that I haven't purchased beer (aside from dining out) in almost 2 years. I was at a neighbors house recently and we were drinking a very nice wheat beer I brewed. We killed the keg so he offered me a Miller Genuine Draft. It was funny to see his face when he took the first drink. He made a face and said "eww, this tastes like paper after drinking that wheat beer". Simply awesome how a very basic extract recipe can make someone realize just how crappy their beloved mass produced beer really is.

...and that's exactly why I haven't purchased beer for so long.

The only time I purchase beer is for research, or to harvest the yeast. The last beer I bought was Bell's Pale Ale to harvest the yeast for a two hearted clone and Sammel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, which I will be brewing soon. :mug:

I still buy beer, but not as much as I used to. I buy some beers when I travel, that I can't get here. I buy unusual beers or "special" beers. But my everyday drinkers tend to be my own beer as well.

Back