Carbonation experiment - Am I asking for trouble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LordGarth

Reaction score
My Dad loves white zinfandel and is coming to visit. So I bought some and decided to try an experiment. I filled up a 12 oz bottle and put in 1/8 teaspoon of rehydrated bread yeast. I was hoping to make it drier and bubbly (probably better too) just for fun.

I am a bit concerned about it turning into a bottle bomb though. I suppose I should not let it sit too long - maybe a day and then pop it? I am new to brewing and find the whole process fascinating and I am a scientist at heart. Is this too dangerous?

Thanks for any help.
LG

i'm not sure if it would even work. i don't know what they put in the wine to stop fermentation in the first place. but yes, if you don't know how much sugar is in there and it does start fermenting then you are in danger of bottle bombs. maybe try it in plastic bottles so when the bottle starts getting hard you can tell its working.

You know now that you mention it I think you're right about it not working. There are sulfites in wine usually which kill the yeast. I'll carefully pop it in 6 hours and see if anything has happened.

I'm considering force carbing some dry white wind to make fake champagne... should work.. might be good.. could suck.

If that does work you got a problem because the white zen bottle won't hold much pressure.

The project has been abandoned. I opened the bottle after 8 hours and nothing.... but no big deal. It was just cloudy white zin. Force carbing sounds like the best way to go.

I don't like white zin but when pretending its cider its not as bad. lol

Back