Need thoughts on Blue Moon GF Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstarner

Reaction score
Starting two topics here to get some opinions on a clone attempt of two popular beers my girlfriend loved before she went GF - DFH 60 Minute and Blue Moon. Recipe for Blue Moon is as follows.

3 lb 5 oz Sorghum (Northwest Brewing)
3 lb 15 oz Brown Rice Syrup (Whole Foods)
2-3 lb Millet, light roasted (215 F for 2 hours)

0.5 oz Hallertauer (60 min)
0.5 oz Hallertauer (45 min)
0.5 oz Cascade (30 min)
1 oz Orange peel and 0.75 oz Coriander (15 min)
0.5 oz Cascade (5 min)

Saf T-58 or S-33

I was then planning on gelatinizing the millet and cereal mashing with some amylase enzyme I have (60 minute mash, possible sparge but not planning on getting many OG points out of the grain). Add syrups and follow hopping schedule as planned.

Thoughts/comments/criticisms? Thanks guys!

Starting two topics here to get some opinions on a clone attempt of two popular beers my girlfriend loved before she went GF - DFH 60 Minute and Blue Moon. Recipe for Blue Moon is as follows.

3 lb 5 oz Sorghum (Northwest Brewing)
3 lb 15 oz Brown Rice Syrup (Whole Foods)
2-3 lb Millet, light roasted (215 F for 2 hours)

0.5 oz Hallertauer (60 min)
0.5 oz Hallertauer (45 min)
0.5 oz Cascade (30 min)
1 oz Orange peel and 0.75 oz Coriander (15 min)
0.5 oz Cascade (5 min)

Saf T-58 or S-33

I was then planning on gelatinizing the millet and cereal mashing with some amylase enzyme I have (60 minute mash, possible sparge but not planning on getting many OG points out of the grain). Add syrups and follow hopping schedule as planned.

Thoughts/comments/criticisms? Thanks guys!

Well, a couple things. 1) I'd use the T-58. I did one batch with S-33, and it didn't have the spicy, belgian character I wanted (and I've seen a few other people posting the same thing).

As far as the hops schedule goes, I guess I'm not sure what Blue Moon does for hops as they aren't following the 'wit' style all that closely (not that its a bad beer, I enjoyed it very much back in the BC era) but the wit style would generally be only a bittering addition of hops.

Also, I'd do a late addition of the sorghum extract. I started doing this a couple batches ago, and I think it really helped the color, and I honestly think the flavor is a little better as well.

I think I saw people doing this at 20 minutes for late sorghum addition. Does that sound right?

I think I saw people doing this at 20 minutes for late sorghum addition. Does that sound right?

20, 30, maybe even 40 minutes should be fine, my only concern was I wanted enough time to bring it back to a boil in time for my coriander at 10 minutes.

And did you manage to use the Indian coriander?
(I made a mistake with that last night and apparently used morrocan. I'm not even bothering to boil the extract this time around though. Chances are, I'll be using it to cook hotdogs & brats.)

Did not end up making this but opted for a continuously hopped (60 minute) IPA.

Let me know if anyone tries it or something similar.

Latest posts

Back