Triple Brew Session

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the plan for 7/18/07...

Any critiques are welcome....

Step 1- ESB

10lb Maris Otter
0.5lb Aromatic
1oz EKG @ 60 FWH
0.5oz Fuggles @ 30
0.5oz EKG @ 15
1oz Fuggles @ 5
1oz EKG @0
Safale S-04

Step 2- Oatmeal Cookie Ale

6.0lbs Mild Malt (edited per post #4 and 5)
2.0 lbs Durst Munich (edited per post #4 and 5)
1 lbs Crisp Amber
0.5lbs Carapils (edited per post #4 and 5)
0.5lbs Wheat (edited per post #4 and 5)
0.5lbs Chocolate
1.5lbs Quick Oats (baked at 300 degrees until toasty like a cookie then added to the mash)
1.0 lbs Dark brown sugar
1oz Strisselspalt @60
1oz Strisselspalt @20
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp natural vanilla extract
WLP European Ale Yeast

Step 3- Local 773
12lb Belgian Pils
3.0lbs Belgian Wheat
0.75lbs Carapils
1.5lbs corn sugar
0.75oz Hallertau @ 60 (FWH)
0.75oz Hallertau @ 30
0.5oz Hallertau @ 15
0.5oz Hallertau @ 1
WLP575 Belgian Blend

Looks like fun. I often do two or three at a time to maximize my all-grain productivity.

Have you done the Oatmeal cookie ale before? looks interesting. I'd be curious to know if the oats kill the head retention like they did in my oatmeal stout from my nooby days of old...it was quite delicious though...very smooth. Maybe leave out the vanilla? Seems like a lot of things going on in that one already...

Foreigner said:
Looks like fun. I often do two or three at a time to maximize my all-grain productivity.

Have you done the Oatmeal cookie ale before? looks interesting. I'd be curious to know if the oats kill the head retention like they did in my oatmeal stout from my nooby days of old...it was quite delicious though...very smooth. Maybe leave out the vanilla? Seems like a lot of things going on in that one already...

Actually, I think oatmeal is supposed to improve head retention, right? or is that just body? All the oatmeal stouts I've had have had a great head... but maybe they were gas-carbed.

As for leaving out the vanilla, I hesitated to post the 3 tsp's that I did... I agree that might be a bit excessive. I also agree that it's a lot going on, but I'm shooting for the beer-equivalent of an oatmeal cookie Jelly Belly. So I've gotta have some vanilla in there, wouldn't you say? :cross: So really, do you think I should leave it out altogether? Or just tone it down? For what it's worth, I have Mexican Vanilla extract to use. It's about 35% alcohol and smells like heaven in a bottle.

Originally, it was going to be a stout, then I decided to focus more on the flavors and less on the style. Who cares if it's too light? Just so long as it tastes like a cookie... hehe. And I've used the European Ale yeast before... we're talkin malt city!!!

As I understand it oatmeal adds to mouthfeel which is why they are often called "silky." There are oils, if I remember correctly, in the oats that really get in the way of a stable head though. You just have to decide what you want. silk or head?

Fair enough on the vanilla - I used 4 ozs of vanilla in my recent mead and the flavour is very mild (it is still very young though). I was just concerned that you were falling into the trap of overly complicated when simple might be better (I do it ALL the time...I end up throwing in 2ozs of, say, chocolate malt, and destroying any proximity to the style I was going for). But hey, Jelly bean ale, I say go for it.

Thanks for your input. Maybe I'll add a little extra wheat and a bit of carapils to help out with the head formation on that recipe... I'd say to tone down the Oatmeal, but, well, that would be against the style of an oatmeal cookie ale, wouldn't it? LOL

Oh and no... I haven't done it before. I'm going off of Mosher's recipe in Radical Brewing...

I'll tell you though that the more I look at it, that's a lot of malt. I think I'll drop it down. I don't think this beer needs to be above 1.060 or so.

Damn Squirrels said:
Thanks for your input. Maybe I'll add a little extra wheat and a bit of carapils to help out with the head formation... can't hurt.

Anytime. take it with a grain of salt of course ;)

I think the extra head retention additions might be a good idea... My oatmeal stout formed a head but it disappeared VERY quickly. I had no head retention malts tho...

Damn Squirrels said:
I'll tell you though that the more I look at it, that's a lot of malt. I think I'll drop it down. I don't think this beer needs to be above 1.060 or so.

I say stick with a high OG. With all the different flavours going on it needs to be a largish beer. IMO. Maybe cut out the brown sugar? Should still give you 1.055 or so...

Foreigner said:
I say stick with a high OG. With all the different flavours going on it needs to be a largish beer. IMO. Maybe cut out the brown sugar? Should still give you 1.055 or so...

The brown sugar is part of the mosher recipe. The "brown" in brown sugar is largely molasses. So we're talking about a substantial flavor component, both in the cookies and (hopefully) the beer.

Add wheat, Add carapils, keep the brown sugar, knock back the Mild Malt. Would you say that's a good approach?

Ok. I updated the recipe, fed it into Brewsmith. OG of 1.063 assuming my 65% efficiency (which I'm still working on improving). Tighten the rollers down, I should hit 75% efficiency and get a little something extra out of it (1.071, to be exact). And I'm using pure O2 to aerate, so so I'm getting ridiculous attenuation numbers....

Damn Squirrels said:
The brown sugar is part of the mosher recipe. The "brown" in brown sugar is largely molasses. So we're talking about a substantial flavor component, both in the cookies and (hopefully) the beer.

Add wheat, Add carapils, keep the brown sugar, knock back the Mild Malt.

It sounds incredibly interesting either way. Go for it! I've had nothing but bad experiences w/ molasses though. Yeah, brown sugar is just refined cane sugar w/ a little molasses added.

Good luck! I brewed 2 today FYI, a munich dunkel/steamer, and a 2nd runnings for a lawnmower version (but I withheld the crystal from the mash to avoid adding it to the 2nd runnings.)

Enjoy your extreeme brewing session!

I can tell you that I wouldn't consume them, but I bet you could find someone who would ;)

I am going to sleep. goodnight

Damn Squirrels said:
Oh and no... I haven't done it before. I'm going off of Mosher's recipe in Radical Brewing...

I am currently reading this book. I like it a lot and I was VERY interested in this recipe! Please do let us know how it turns out. I want to brew this one, but am going to brew others for now. It always seems that I get a recipe ready and then I see someone put together an awesome recipe and I want to do that and then I see another and switch gears. And then I see another and so on and so on. I'll eiter have to double my brewing equipment or sit and wait...and sulk...and then go drink some of my homebrew and forget about it...

Back