Heat wave fruity esthers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
I had a 5 gallon pail of straight fermented 7 lbs LME to correct an over-hopped pale ale I have. My AC went tits up so the temp in the house went right through the roof. It went to 80 - 90 degrees for about two weeks indoors. The LME had finished its initial fermentation before this happened, but it seems to have developed a very fruity taste anyway. The overhopped brew was kept cool the whole time.

So I mixed the two anyway, because either this works or I need to free the kegs up in the next few weeks. I had a sample taste and the bitter brew does not mask the fruit. The question is whether this fruitiness is going to go away, or is it a lost cause?

While fruity esters to a degree are acceptable at lower levels in some brewing styles it sounds like the yeast strain you used couldn't handle the heat.

The fruity esters are only going to get worse over time. If the beer is drinkable right now, I would recommend consuming it over the next few weeks. Blending those two beers together was a brilliant idea, unfortunately it sounds like the over-hopped ale didn't mask enough of the fruity esters.

Back