What Size Corks Do You Use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluespook

Reaction score
when bottling wines? I see different lengths and widths in the catalogs, but what's the story on how you choose? I will be using mostly 750ml bottles, but some larger and some smaller also.

Additionally, what do you recommend regarding a corker? Assuming I can pull together $75 or so bucks, what's the best bet?

Thanks,

when bottling wines? I see different lengths and widths in the catalogs, but what's the story on how you choose? I will be using mostly 750ml bottles, but some larger and some smaller also.

Additionally, what do you recommend regarding a corker? Assuming I can pull together $75 or so bucks, what's the best bet?

Thanks,

I've used this floor corker for the past couple of years. It's less than $70 at Northern Brewer. Before that I used this double lever corker. At $25 it's ok but the floor corker is much easier to use.

You want to use good quality inch and a half synthetic corks or inch and three-quarters #9 natural cork for 750 ml bottles. Use #8 corks for 375s. Keep in mind that the double lever corker may not work with some corks. and that the floor corker may not handle very tall bottles, such as magnum bottles.

I use the same corker and the same size corks. I've found that #9 will work in the small 375 ml bottles, if need be, but #8 is better for those. Otherwise, I buy all good quality #9 1.75 inch corks.

Funny, i was just going to ask about corkers, I had pretty much decided to get the floor corker but wondered if the Gilda single lever would be a viable option.
I am only going to be doing 30 at a time for now, but I dont want it to be a PITA.

Funny, i was just going to ask about corkers, I had pretty much decided to get the floor corker but wondered if the Gilda single lever would be a viable option.
I am only going to be doing 30 at a time for now, but I dont want it to be a PITA.

I actually bought two other corkers before I bought the floor corker! The second was the Gilda, which looks good in principle but is harder than heck to squeeze. I still have it, and would consider selling it- but I don't want to make anyone go through what I did with it! I spent more on those corkers combined than the floor corker, and turned around and bought the floor corker anyway!

I actually bought two other corkers before I bought the floor corker! The second was the Gilda, which looks good in principle but is harder than heck to squeeze. I still have it, and would consider selling it- but I don't want to make anyone go through what I did with it! I spent more on those corkers combined than the floor corker, and turned around and bought the floor corker anyway!

That is exactly the answer I was looking for to justify my want/need for a floor corker, thanks!

I have the Gilda corker and have no problem with it. I was told to boil a pot of water, turn it off and add corks for a couple of minutes to soften, they slide right in.

Back