I need expert advice on something..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hickaseer

Reaction score
I have a wheat allergy, not to be confused with gluten allergy. When I read labels on beers and they say "malts", is it safe since most beers list wheat in their ingredients? What exactly is a "malt"? Does is contain wheat ever? How do I know? Thanks guys and gals

Malted grain is grain that has sprouted and developed enzyme that are capable of converting the starches in the grain to sugars.

Malt is usually a concentrate ( Liquid malt extract ) LME or (dried malt extract) DME. This is a concentrated product made from the sugars produced by the enzymes when the starches have been converted.

Malts can be made from a lot of ingredients including but not limited to wheat, rye, barley, corn, rice and on and on.

bosco

Malted grain is grain that has sprouted and developed enzyme that are capable of converting the starches in the grain to sugars.

Malt is usually a concentrate ( Liquid malt extract ) LME or (dried malt extract) DME. This is a concentrated product made from the sugars produced by the enzymes when the starches have been converted.

Malts can be made from a lot of ingredients including but not limited to wheat, rye, barley, corn, rice and on and on.

bosco

Thank you, but when beers list their malts - the ones with wheat in them ususally say "wheat malt" ro "wheat beer" right? For instance, in Leinenkugell's Red Lager, it lists Three Pale, Carapils® and Caramel as the malts. How is one suppose to know if they've got wheat in them?

Thank you, but when beers list their malts - the ones with wheat in them ususally say "wheat malt" ro "wheat beer" right? For instance, in Leinenkugell's Red Lager, it lists Three Pale, Carapils® and Caramel as the malts. How is one suppose to know if they've got wheat in them?

Interesting.
I just looked a a few bottles and cans of commercial and craft beers.

None listed the ingredients at all ?:mad:
I think they should.

bosco

How serious is a wheat allergy? You can be sure that their mill has processed wheat, and I don't think that it gets cleaned out between batches.

Back