Loose bottle caps! Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggiejay06

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Just brewed my second batch...a pumpkin spice ale, just in time for Thanksgiving. :mug:

I bottled this afternoon...51 12oz's. Problem is though that, with at least 17 of those or so, I can slightly turn the bottle cap (some just barely, others a lot). I've used many of these bottles on my first batch and I didn't have that problem before, but do now. Nearest I can figure is the caps weren't great..."Hooch Brewing" they say.

I can't pull the cap off, just twist it. The little rubber liner/o-ring thing is present in the caps. I turned some of the bottles with the most easily twistable caps upside down to see if they leaked beer. Beer is staying in just fine.

Problem is though I figure that gas can wiggle it's way out of the bottle easier than the beer, so I'm worried that my CO2 is going to escape as it's produced in those bottles.

Anyone have this problem before? If so how'd it turn out? Should I worry about these guys? If it were just a few I wouldn't care as much...but 17! That's quite a hit if they all turn out flat!

Huh. I have never had this problem before. But, because caps are dirt cheap I figure just buy more caps whenever you can and then recap them. I agree with you that if you can wiggle them the gas can probably get out.

How are you going to have this ready for Thanksgiving? My pumpkin ale took 3 weeks to ferment out, and another 5 weeks of conditioning before it reached its greatness. I guess unless you keg and force carb the day its done fermenting.

Even on alot of commercial brews you can spin the caps (which will sometimes cause a leak in the seal.) Cap then walk away......

They're not twist off bottles...they're pry off. And I know they won't reach they're greatness before Thanksgiving...but they'll at least be carbonated and drinkable. I'll give people a couple and tell them to drink one on Thanksgiving and one weeks later.

Thanks Hammy, that sounds like a pretty good idea.

Update:

I think it has something to do with StarSan being slippery. I checked about 5 of those bottles this morning and can no longer twist the cap! Please pass on the info to anyone else who may ask this.

Yes- I had the same issue a few months ago. I recapped a few, but after the caps soaked in starsan, it was the same. After that I left them alone.. No probs with carbing. Nothing to worry about.

Back