Wheat beer starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pookapoo

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm a bit torn here and figured I'd ask for help with my specific situation.
I got a wheat beer extract kit I'm gonna cook up tomorrow and I'm using a Wyeast 3068 activator pack.
My O.G. should be 49 for this 5 gallon batch according to the kit directions.(It's a Northern Brewer Bav. Hefe kit.)

Okay, so now for my query.
I have the above mentioned smack-pack and a pound of amber dme. Now normally I'd do a starter and pitch at high krausen like normal, but I have never done a wheat beer and was concerned that the amber dme (all I have right now) might cause the flavor of the beer to change.
What do you guys (and gals) think?

I'm far from an expert, with only 12 brewing sessions under my belt, but here's what I would do. Rather than risk some off flavors from the Amber DME, I'd smack the pack and see how fast it pops up. I've had some smack packs that are fully expanded within 2 hours, and I've had some that got a little more than half way expanded after 24 hours. So, if I had a pack that took off fast, I'd just pitch it. If I had a pack that was very slow, I'd use the Amber to make a starter. But then I'd chill the starter for 24 hours, and then decant as much of the liquid off the starter and pitch just the cake.

I'm sure there's a lot more advice coming from the more experienced members. Just thought I'd share my approach.

What size starter are you making? I don't know if it would change the flavor much if you pitch it. Or you could make the starter 3-4 days prior to brewing, let it finish. Then refrigerate it over night and decant most of the liquid. That is what I usually do. Make starter Wednesday for a Sunday brew. Leave it on stirplate till Saturday, put it in fridge. Take it out Sunday morning to come to room temp.

I think a 4oz Amber DME starter @ 1.030 would not impact your brew at all.

I think the kit you mentioned (NB Bav Hefe) comes with 1 Lb of Wheat DME doesnt it? If so just use 4oz of Wheat DME and you will not have to worry about it.

Haha you're right It DOES come with wheat DME. :eek:
I'll just do that.
I should never post anything before 8AM, I'm just not awake yet, Thanks and sorry for wasting your time:D

If you do make a starter, use a big container. I blew the foil cap off my flask with that yeast. And definitely use a blowoff tube on the primary.

If you do make a starter, use a big container. I blew the foil cap off my flask with that yeast. And definitely use a blowoff tube on the primary.

I agree I needed a 2 liter starter for the 10 gallon batch I just did, the first 1400 ml made a huge mess and this was the 600 ml step up. I tend to like underpitching Wheats to get esters from reproduction. I didn't have a blow off on the fermantor because its a 15 gallon Dulex and has a lot of head space, at high krausen it was about an inch below the top.

STA70190.JPG

I agree I needed a 2 liter starter for the 10 gallon batch I just did, the first 1400 ml made a huge mess and this was the 600 ml step up. I tend to like underpitching Wheats to get esters from reproduction. I didn't have a blow off on the fermantor because its a 15 gallon Dulex and has a lot of head space, at high krausen it was about an inch below the top.

STA70190.JPG

This is :off: but my 3944 starter looked the same!

Yeah, I made the starter and there was a HUGE amount of krausen. It was trying to lift the foil off the top of the flask. At the time a 1 liter flask was the largest that I had, now I have upgraded to a 2L flask now so I should be okay. I'm fermenting @65f and at first the airlock was farting out banana-poots. It was awesome, but now it has calmed down and is farting out more like beer smell farts.
Thanks for all the great help people. :mug:

I made a similiar beer with the same yeast a while back. ( no starter by the way. just did the smackpack 24hrs at room temp) 24hrs in it blew all over the place. on Another note I gave the beer away. Just too much clove flavor for my tastes.

I think the kit you mentioned (NB Bav Hefe) comes with 1 Lb of Wheat DME doesnt it? If so just use 4oz of Wheat DME and you will not have to worry about it.

I've been searching all over for a post like this. It leads me to a question: If your kit comes with DME, why not use it for the starter and not decant (i.e. dump the entire starter in at high krausen after about 24 hr., no cold crash to separate)?

Thanks,
Andy

Back