Cascade or chinook In NC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
I have two second year plants coming up. One is Chinook, one is Cascade. I do not remember which is which.

One is just starting to come up. One is about a foot tall, and came up about a month ago. I am in NC. Any thoughts?

A common problem and identifying hops is somewhat difficult. Maybe some really ambitious folks can add actual hop pictures to the wiki.

Based on my own experience, Cascade and Fuggle come up sooner than anything else.

Not sure where you are in NC, my home state by the way, but I’m just up the road on the Eastern Shore of MD and my Cascades are limping along. The Willamette and Nugget have taken off though. So if I had to make a completely unscientific stab at it, would say the Cascade are the shorter ones.

Growth patterns are very very similar, so not easy way to tell right now other than leaf pattern.

When cones are set , easier to tell ,

The links below also have leaf pics - might help you now

Cascade - long thin compact after 2nd year (first year varies)
Cascade

Chinook are also long but have fairy skirts - the tips turn out
Chinook

Most of the alpha hops are harvested late in the season, and my Cascade were the first up this year. I'm betting on the bigger one being the Cascade, but you should definately be able to tell at harvest time. If the cone/leaf structure doesn't give it away the aroma definately should. Cascade are one of the first hops harvested.

i am also in nc. trying growing hops for the first time this year.
centennial, chinook, nugget. how much if any did you harvest your first season.
couple of plants are only a couple of inches tall, and some others about four or five now.

All of those will give you some hops, Nugget will give most, Chinook a few and Cent the least in year one based on my Greensboro yield last year.

Cascades are the most prolific growers, , we got about 1/2 lb wet for a large first year plant.

Largest Nugget was a little less than that.

Hope it goes well

I am betting the Cascade was the first one up and running, that is the case for me, I have Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Williamette, Glacier, Magnum, and the cacade was the first to tke off, these are second year plants btw, good luck.:mug:

Back