Dry Hopping A Dry Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brasco20

Reaction score
I brewed a dry rye extract kit from midwest supplies about 2 weeks ago. Ive been wanting to dry hop a brew for some time now and keep putting it off because im always doing different kits and want them to taste how the supplier intended. Couple of things im wondering is, if i dry hop the rye beer, will the hops over power the flavor of the rye? There's a micro brew in MT that puts out a beer called "salmon fly honey rye" its freakin delicious! I love the flavor of the rye, its like drinking a loaf of bread. Second, the hops i have is an ounce of German Spalt. I know nothing about this hop, just picked it out of a ton of options, thought i would try something different. Will this be a good hop for dry hopping, or will it screw up my brew?

Thanks for any help guys!

There's a micro brew in MT that puts out a beer called "salmon fly honey rye" its freakin delicious! I love the flavor of the rye, its like drinking a loaf of bread.

I second this! If you can get your hands on a bottle of salmon fly honey rye you won't be disappointed. It has one of the best flavor profiles I've ever had in a beer :cross:. I'd love to brew up a clone of that... I'm drooling right now just thinking about it.

Well, I like this beer as well. I don't taste honey at all....so I am disregarding it as an ingredient. I like the drinkability, but I really have to search to pick out the flavors. So I built a recipe that highlights what I think makes this beer great and kicks them up a notch. I want it maltier, hoppier and spicier (rye and hops).

10.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
5.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
5.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
0.60 oz Magnum [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 10.2 IBU
2.00 oz Hallertauer [3.20 %] (30 min) Hops 8.3 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.047 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.012
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.50 %
Bitterness: 18.5 IBU
Est Color: 8.3 SRM

Mash Profile

Total Grain Weight: 20.00 lb
Sparge Water: 8.59
Sparge Temperature: 168.0

Add 30.00 qt of water at 167.2 F to mash at 154.0 F

Wyeast Munich Lager Yeast, fermented 45-48 and pitched cold.

I have a pile of liberty whole cone sitting around. Considering a dry hop at kegging time.....

Hops on rye dry hops their rye, the hops really bring out the spicy character of the rye.

Permo, how did the recipe turn out?

From their web page they use 2-row, rye malt, honey malt, oats, honey, Magnum, and Tettnager

http://www.madisonriverbrewing.com/ourbrews/salmon-fly-honey-rye

My cousin loves this beer and asked me to brew a clone for his wedding. I sent an email to the brewery. Hopefully they will share some information.

Did you ever get a response? I was in Montana last week and had a couple glasses of this at Montana Ale Works and it is an excellent beer...I would love to brew it...

Edward

Permo, how did the recipe turn out?

From their web page they use 2-row, rye malt, honey malt, oats, honey, Magnum, and Tettnager

http://www.madisonriverbrewing.com/ourbrews/salmon-fly-honey-rye

My cousin loves this beer and asked me to brew a clone for his wedding. I sent an email to the brewery. Hopefully they will share some information.

Did you ever get a response? I was in Montana last week and had a couple glasses of this at Montana Ale Works and it is an excellent beer...I would love to brew it...

Edward

Edward
They never responded. I did just keg my second try at a clone. First try had too much rye..

Back