Carboy Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inturnldemize

Reaction score
Man, these things are hard to clean! I realized I hadn't completely cleaned off all the crud from the last brew. It seemed pretty damn clean but a closer look revealed little brown dots (either malt or yeast i'm guessing) on the top of the glass carboy (near the opening). I can't seem to fit anything in there and I don't have a carboy brush.

What I did now, is I added about 3/4 cup of bleach and filled it up to the top with water. I filled it up last night around 8 and I will empty it tonight around the same time. I'm hoping that will take care of it.

But man, carboys are a PITA to clean!

Lesson learned: Clean your carboys PROPERLY right after you brew. Don't wait.

I would really suggest investing a few buck in a carboy brush. It will save you hours of hassle. Try picking up some Oxiclean Free (good) or PBW cleaner (best) and let your carboy soak. You'll probably get most if not all of the critters off with those. Again though, your best option is a brush. Nothing like good ol' elbow grease.

Assuming this is a glass carboy. If it is a Better Bottle do not use a brush. A washcloth stuffed inside with about 1/2 gallon hot water and swirl it around.

With the bleach rinse it very well after the soak.

Oxyclean or Walmart's brand Sun? "something" are cheap and go a long way. Make sure you get the perfume free variety.

I put a bunch of uncooked rice in my carboy, fill it with some water, and shake. Usually removes any "gunk"...Then I fill it with cleaner and hot water and let it sit for an hour.

Oxyclean soak for about an hour....I use extremely hot water at first and shake it up...I also do another oxy soak the day before I use it again so its sparkling clean by then

Where can I buy this oxyclean you all speak of? Is it that thing they sell on infomercials late at night?? lol

Where can I buy this oxyclean you all speak of? Is it that thing they sell on infomercials late at night?? lol

Most stores carry some form of oxygen based cleaner these days, even at dollar stores. You just want an unscented.

Basically it's just a Sodium percarbonate cleanser. The bubbles break down any crud easily.

I haven't needed anything beyond that and a Jet bottle/carboy rinser to clean bottles or carboys.

I have a kitchen faucet to garden hose adapter to use on my kitchen sink.

21T7l43UuTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Couple hour to overnight soak with hot water followed by a rinse with the jet rinser is all it ever has needed. No muss and no fuss.

Most grocery stores, hardware stores, and big-box MegaWallyWorld type stores will carry it, near the laundry soap and household cleaners.

I use 1 Step, its basically the same as Oxyclean free, and with a proper about of it (read the directions on the package) mixed with warm water I just fill up the carboy most of the way, use my carboy brush and give it a good scrub then cork it and using the handles on my brew hauler I give it a good shake and let it sit for 30 min. Then pour out the contents and inspect once it has dried. I have yet to need to repeat this process more then once.

Just make sure you get Oxyclean FREE or the UNSCENTED version of whatever oxygen-knockoff you buy. I only use OxyFree because my dollar store doesn't have an unscented version. Stuff's magical, though.

Because alcohol inhibits fat burning, fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, C and K cannot be efficiently used. These vitamins are required for wound healing and cell maintenance. Additionally, alcohol causes a depletion of magnesium, potassium, and calcium. Just sayin', take care of that carboy.

Back