Fermenter to Keg - Too much time overkill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm kegging my next batch of beer for the first time, and I have some lingering questions. I've searched around, but haven't really found the answers I'm looking for. Plus, this might be an interesting discussion for beginners and/or those of us looking keg for the first time.

I've always left all my basic beers (say, non-wheat beers under 6% ABV) in primary for two weeks and two weeks in clearing tank, even if my hydrometer tells me I could move it earlier. Then, as a bottler, my beer got 3 - 4 weeks at room temps conditioning. I had no space issues, so I liked giving the beer plenty of time.

Is this overkill for kegging typical American style ales? I'm moving my process from a huge indoor closet to a fermentation freezer in the garage, so I'll either have to speed up the process or brew less often.

Should I save the room in my fermentation chamber and go from primary straight to cold crashing and into the keg in two weeks or so? If I do this, should I pull the keg out and leave it at room temps for a couple weeks to condition, or are most beers fine going straight into the keggerator after a couple weeks?

I usually do 21 days in Primary, straight into a keg. Depending on my pipeline, I might pop it into the fridge and carb it within 3-5 days, or it could very well sit around sealed, and condition warm for 1-10 months before being put on pressure.

My Mint Pale was the clearest beer I've ever done, that one sat on the yeast cake for 4 weeks. It went into a keg, sat warm for 2 days (while I drank the dregs of what was in the fridge), then immediately went into the fridge and onto the gas.

I would say that 2 week (maybe 3?) primary, straight into a keg, straight onto gas, should be fine for most sub-6% beers.

My 10der&Mild Mild for the swap will be 7 days primary and 3 days hi-pressure in the fridge. :D

I usually do 21 days in Primary, straight into a keg. Depending on my pipeline, I might pop it into the fridge and carb it within 3-5 days, or it could very well sit around sealed, and condition warm for 1-10 months before being put on pressure.

My Mint Pale was the clearest beer I've ever done, that one sat on the yeast cake for 4 weeks. It went into a keg, sat warm for 2 days (while I drank the dregs of what was in the fridge), then immediately went into the fridge and onto the gas.

I would say that 2 week (maybe 3?) primary, straight into a keg, straight onto gas, should be fine for most sub-6% beers.

My 10der&Mild Mild for the swap will be 7 days primary and 3 days hi-pressure in the fridge. :D

This is great info for me as a new brewer...

I'm still trying to find out what is the appropriate (as compared to minimum) amount of time in primary and then in bottles or a keg until it's ready.

Looking forward to brewing my first extract this Sunday and starting the adventure.

Back