Boiling pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanIPA

Reaction score
Can you use aluminum? Or is stainless steel the way to go? Just wondering, aluminum is cheaper.

I've never personally experienced it but what I've always heard is that aluminum will give you metallic off flavors.

You opened a can of worms... ha ha

Here's something I put together a while ago listing pros and cons of each:

Untitled.png

You just have to be sure to condition your aluminum pot before you boil your first batch. You can do this by filling your aluminum pot with plain tap water and boil for an hour in the new pot. Also, you don't want to clean the pot to a shiny brightness after you brew - basically hand wash with mild dish detergent and a non-scouring sponge works really well. The only time you can get metallic a taste is when you boil in a pot you haven't conditioned. I use an aluminum turkey fryer and it works like a charm.
Happy Brewing!

and while you're conditioning, boiling for an hour, measure the volume you started with and how much you end up with

= boil-off rate per hour

Like I said, it's what I've heard. I'm not saying its true. I don't personally have any experience with them. That was the info my LHB store owner told me. I trusted his advice since he's been brewing beer for almost 30 yrs.

Come on!

The very FIRST sticky on this forum discusses this at length!

:D Just giving you a little crap. Seriously though, read that thread and when your head starts spinning make some beer in your aluminum pot. It will be perfectly fine. Just remember to boil some water in it first to build a brown oxide layer and never scrub this layer off.

Back