Amber Ale Water Correction - Please Check my Calculations!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassplayer142

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've done some good research and started using beersmith and ezwatercalculator. I've attached an excel file with the ezwatercalculator and made some adjustments. I still feel that I'm not positive my adjustments are correct and will not make some crazy beer even though everything is in the "green".

The water profile is from Detroits water supplier and the beer is an amber ale.

If anyway can take a quick peek and let me know this looks good it would be really appreciated and give ease of mind during the brew process and fermentation time.

Thanks in advance! :mug:

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

I'd drop the baking soda completely--it's used to raise mash pH(which you don't need) and is not needed in the sparge at all.

Drop the epsom salt--malt has plenty of Mg for a healthy fermentation and you don't need any more sulfate than the gypsum will give you

Then add 4g of gypsum and 6g of calcium chloride to the mash total--none in the sparge.

This will get you to a better mash pH of 5.53 and eliminate salts that you don't need in the mash or sparge.

Back