start second without knowing the first?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catalina

Reaction score
do you folks recommend starting my second batch without knowing how my first turned out? Obviously, the big pro argument is that I'll get more beers faster. The big con is that I might still not know what I am doing :(

Yes, I recommend it. Beer isn't THAT difficult to make drinkable, nor are the ingredients prohibitively expensive.

If you can afford to make another batch before the current one is ready to drink, then go for it. Otherwise, you'll (probably) be kicking yourself 6-8 weeks later when you realize your beer is pretty damn tasty.

I think you will probably get a resounding yes. I started my second two weeks after the first and was more than happy with both. If you followed your instructions you will make beer. Plus the more you make the better you will get. Pick out something you like to drink and get brewing. By the time your first batch is done you can be drinking it and critiquing it while you are brewing your third.

if you recorded your every step during your first brew, then you can make a second brew.
expect a less than par brew, and you may be surprised when it turns out good...
if ya don't toss dirt into the first one, it should turn out drinkable...
if ya went by the directions given (assuming a box or can) you will be fine..
if the water is crap, your beer will be swill (budweiser)...
if you pee in it, it may taste like piss (budweiser)....
your last verse in the mantra:
give it time
don't second it too soon, don't bottle it too soon, don't drink it too soon...
too many dont's?
DO love your brew
DO take your time
DO try some from the carboy from time to time
DO do it again!
hope some of this helped... if not.. then i'll just go back to brewing...

Do you have enough bottles for the second batch?
If you do, then I would certainly start another batch.
If you don't, I would buy some more bottles (either filled or unfilled) until you have enough bottles to maintain a pipeline.

-a.

Yep, keep them in the pipeline. Getting ready to brew my third batch tomorrow... weather permitting and I haven't even been able to try the first batch yet lol. It's a fun process isn't it?

Yep, keep them in the pipeline. Getting ready to brew my third batch tomorrow... weather permitting and I haven't even been able to try the first batch yet lol. It's a fun process isn't it?

Haha, me too, although it may be today, trying to get a better handle on the weather to determine if I will be able to go MX tomorrow or not. My first has been bottled for a week after 3 weeks in the primary and 2 in the secondary and I need the primary that batch two has been in for the last 3 weeks. It's just a cream ale and I can't decide to rack it or bottle it.

Brewing another one immediately and another one immediately after that will make it easier and easier to be patient with'em, which is what I remember being the most difficult thing to do. Plus, I mean, more beer faster. Do it, brew more, now, no really, stop reading this and go start sanitizing. Cheers.

Haha, me too, although it may be today, trying to get a better handle on the weather to determine if I will be able to go MX tomorrow or not. My first has been bottled for a week after 3 weeks in the primary and 2 in the secondary and I need the primary that batch two has been in for the last 3 weeks. It's just a cream ale and I can't decide to rack it or bottle it.

Wow... sounds like we started at the same exact time lol. Today is week 1 in the bottle for the caramel cream ale.

Thank you for all your encouragement! I noticed you were unanimous. And thanks, ajf, for pointing out I'll need more bottles. I hadn't thought of that. Guess I better find some more and drink them empty - poor me!

I have 3 batches, one bottled, one in secondary and one in primary. I have yet to drink more than one for a test and it still needs another week bottle conditioning. So I say brew up another.

I was on my fourth before tasting my first.
Good thing too because my first batch was lame.
Just getting into my second now and it's pretty damn good.

This is why i decided to do smaller batches,til i knew what to do better.I brewed my first two without knowing i was pitching to high,i was also drinking them green and evaluating too early really, but pitching at lower temps really helped make them better.Also you have to surrender to time before really knowing.
keep brewing.

CousinDave said:
I was on my fourth before tasting my first.
Good thing too because my first batch was lame.
Just getting into my second now and it's pretty damn good.

I think thats common my first batch was not great. But my second was dam good. I've got my third is in a secondary and just brewed my fourth last weekend.

Once you find your groove, you can really get a good supply going. I have ten 5 gallon kegs full of beer just sitting in the closet, and I am brewing 20 gallons tomorrow, summer is coming and I dont want to brew in the AZ heat if I can help it.

Latest posts

Back