I made myself throw bottles away!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45_70sharps

Reaction score
I don't bottle. I don't like to bottle. Earlier this week I finished soaking labels off, cleaning and then running through the dishwasher about a case of bottles.

Due to bad planning, I've got a gap in my supply line for about another week so I've been drinking store bought.

Tonight I had about a half pack worth of bottles that were waiting to be soaked in oxyclean and have the labels removed and I threw them away!!!

First time I've been able to get myself to do that in quite a while!
I've got 5 gallons of pumpkin ale that I'm going to bottle and I'm sure I'll bottle a few from a few batches now and then, but how many bottles do I need!

I didn't know if I could throw any away, but with 4 kegs and the parts I needed to fix a fifth one, plus I'm planning on adding a couple more, I've got way more than enough bottles.

Up till the last couple weeks I only had two kegs so I should have been keeping a couple batches in bottles.

If you know any other home brewers that bottle I'm sure they would appreciate the spare bottles. Someone gave me over two cases of labeled empties at a grain buy and it was a real life saver as I had just run out and had a Carboy to bottle.

The only other homebrewer that I know of around here is my younger brother.
He hasn't brewed anything in a while and has a ton of bottles.

Besides, when a guy gets himself to break the bad habit of keeping every bottle, he can't go back any more than a junkie can do a little bit of drugs!
If I keep them so that I can give them away I'll clean them. As long as I'm at it I'll probably soak them in oxyclean, probably peel the labels when they come out. Scrub the little bit of glue while I'm at it.
Might as well find another closet to put them in at that point. I might need them some day!
I can't help myself. After they go in the trash can, I'm safe though.

Back