Belgian White Recipe Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never had it but I hear that the Austin Home Brew Blue moon clone is really good. A friend of mine is a Hoegaarden freak and he brews this extract recipe to suit his tastes. He emailed it to me couple of weeks ago, I have never tried it.

6.6lbs Liquid Wheat Extract
1 lbs White Wheat
1 lbs Flaked Wheat
.5 lbs Flaked Oats
.75 oz Saaz 60min.
.25 oz Saaz 30min.
.25 oz Saaz 5min.
1 oz Bitter Orange Peel 5min.
.5 oz Crushed Corriander 5min.
Appropriate yeast such as WLP#400.

He steeps the wheat and flaked adjuncts for 30 or 40 minutes at 155F then adds the extract and boils for an hour. This is for a full boil so if your doing partial you will want to add 3.3 lbs of your extract the last 5 or 10 min or so of your boil, this will keep your IBU's in line.

It's rather difficult to brew a world-class Witbier using extract/steep techniques. Some of the crucial ingredients - oats and raw wheat - must be mashed, requiring at least a partial mash.

That said, Northern Brewer's Witbier kit is pretty good, as is Midwest's. Both can be improved by the addition of some Supah-Sekret Spicez; I like cardamom and paradise seed in addition to the coriander and bitter orange peel.

I don't recommend flavor or aroma hops in Witbier. They clash with the spices and yeast flavors, which defeats the purpose.

Good luck!

Bob

My AHS blue moon clone kit should be delivered to me today. This is my first blue moon clone, but I hear good things about it. I am getting thristy already.

I've tried AHS Blanche de Chambly. It was great. Not overly done on the orange peel or coriander. It was a PM but I cant wait to try it again as AG.

The Austin Homebrew Belgian White is phenomenal in the partial mash version. My favorite of their recipe kits I have tried to date, although the English Special Bitter is a very close second.

Thanks everyone. I am going to look into partial mashing of the the AHS Blue Moon Clone...I just don't know what else I'd need to do that.

Also, What yeast has worked best for the AHS Blue moon clone..options are: Wyeast Belgian Witbier 3944 or White Labs Belgian Wit Ale WLP400..or Dry yeast.

I did the partial mash on the AHS kit. You'll need a mesh bag and I would recommend two pots. I used the yeast they recommend at AHS (liquid).
Somewhere else around here someone recommended crushing the corriander seeds before adding them and I would probably do that when I make another batch.
Wife loves it and she won't drink beer normally.

I made this Unibroue Blanche du Chambly-esque witbier and it turned out well - one of my favorites:

2.25 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 38.79 %
3.30 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 56.90 %
1.00 oz Tradition [5.70 %] (60 min) Hops 15.2 IBU
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.25 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 4.31 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) Yeast-Wheat

Cheers!

Jim

Williams Brewing has a really good Belgian Wit kit that I, my wife and many others were very impressed with. Here is the description of the kit...

Good Luck....

Description:

Originally associated with the Eastern Belgian province of Brabant, the Belgian Wit (white) style is a fruity, pale wheat beer accented with orange peel, coriander, and other spices. This is a subtle, delicate beer, best appreciated by those who like a refreshing wheat beer with a touch of spice character. The name wit (or white) was attached to this style due to both the original use of unmalted wheat, and to the fact that this beer was brewed without finings, so more yeast than normal remained in suspension.

Includes 8 pounds of our blended malt extract, flavoring hops and spices, liquid ale yeast, and corn sugar for carbonation. Makes 5 gallons with a starting gravity of at least 1.047. Ease of Brewing: Beginner
BELGIAN WIT

Does anyone know if bell0347's recipe is based on leaf hops or pellets? This is going to be the first brew in my kegerator that I'm currently building! Don't wanna mess it up!

WjR

It's for pellet hops. Been a while since I've seen this thread. Lol. We have since moved on to all grain for most brews but from what I remember this was a pretty tasty beer. My friend brewed it a few times. Good luck!!

Thanks! I've been doing extracts for about a year and half. Want to try the all-grain, but have to have a place to boil the water first. My poor electric stove gets abused as it is with 3 gallons and I don't think running some propane in my house is the best idea...can't wait for a garage!

Back