Soda Keg Dimensions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbrewit

Zythos Conisseur
Reaction score
cna any one who has a soda keg give me the width and the heigth of one? i'm trying to find out how many i can put in a 25.1 cubic foot chest freezer with a temp control panel. i want to mount a bunch of taps on the lod of the freezer so that i can have a bunch of different beers on tap all at the same time. the dimensions of the freezer is 73 7/8"L x 24 3/4"W x 35"H i'd like to have about 8 kegs and all the C2O stuff inside as well. i'm thinking about mounting the gauges outside the freezer so adjustments can be made without opening the top.

A five gallon cornie is 8 1/2 inches in diameter. The practical (including valves and hoses) height is 26 inches. I'd estimate you could put at least 16 kegs in your freezer. If it's like my smaller freezer, there is a hump in the bottom at one end where the compressor is located.

I'd recommend keeping your gauges inside the freezer to minimize holes in the case. The regularors rarely need adjustment. My freezer actually has the condensing coils built into the front and sides, so cutting holes anyhwere other than the top would be tricky. Plan on having a dual regulator setup, so you can have more than one delivery pressure. For my "real ales" I use a few psi, just enough to deliver them. IPA's etc. need a little carbonation.

thats what i got for it too, 16 kegs. i'm figuring the end where the hump is is where i'll keep my CO2 bottles, i figure i'll need 1 bottle for every 2 kegs, or 1 20lb bottle for every 8 kegs. unless i am figuring wrong. but i was thinking of leaving space just for the CO2 bottles so i'm thinking about 10 to 12 kegs at one time. sound about right to you??

justbrewit said:
thats what i got for it too, 16 kegs. i'm figuring the end where the hump is is where i'll keep my CO2 bottles, i figure i'll need 1 bottle for every 2 kegs, or 1 20lb bottle for every 8 kegs. unless i am figuring wrong. but i was thinking of leaving space just for the CO2 bottles so i'm thinking about 10 to 12 kegs at one time. sound about right to you??

You only need one CO2 bottle for the whole setup, if you only need one pressure. Even with two or three settings, you could just use one bottle and multiple regulators connected to manifolds. I have one bottle with a four-way manifold. I think you would have trouble fitting a 20 lb CO2 bottle in the case, they are much taller than a cornie. A 10 lb bottle is a huge amount of CO2. One would be fine for the whole case, just get a spare.

Back