Sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time and gravity are your friends.

If you wish to speed up the process, once fermentation is done, you can use fining agents such as SuperKleen. Works great.

I usually let time and gravity work and my wines clear just fine.

It seems that the meades I've made till now have taken much longer to clear than wine. It's like the yeast stay in suspension till every gram of sugar is gone, then falls out in a few weeks time. My most recent batch fermented fairly warm, about 75 f, and it took about 3 months before it was what I consider to be clear. Like the post above said, give it time :).

Rack the liquid off the sediment into a fresh carboy every 45-60 days. Let everything settle, then repeat.

I rack 4-6 times over a year and I still get a lot of sediment after I bottle/ Can I stop the sediment from getting in the bottles?

I rack 4-6 times over a year and I still get a lot of sediment after I bottle/ Can I stop the sediment from getting in the bottles?

A good way to avoid sediment in the bottles is to cold stabilize the wine before bottling. Once it is no longer dropping lees after 60 days in a carboy, put that wine somewhere cold. (Use a piece of sanitized foil for the top, or a solid bung so you don't suck in the airlock liquid!).

After 60 days of cold (40 degrees or less is preferable), you may have some "wine diamonds" and other sediment on the bottom. At that point, you shouldn't drop any more sediment and can bottle.

Ok just so I understand. Are you saying that once fermentation has stopped I should then move the carboy to a location that is 40 degrees or cooler for about 60 days? Again I let my wines and meads sit for one year. So in this case you are saying at month 10 move to colder storage for two months?

Back