No Artificial Sweetener Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazybluerider

Reaction score
This was my first attempt at a cider. I think it came out very tasty so I thought I would share the recipe.

A lot of the sugar fortified ciders taste too dry/hot for me so I thought I would attempt to build a cider that had some kick but did not use any sugar to boost SG. I accomplished this by using pure juice and sweetening it with concentrate. I also used concentrate for carbonation.

Recipe:
4 gallons, treetop apple juice
8 16oz cans treetop concentrate.
Carbonate with 16oz treetop concentrate

This created a cider that still retained a lot of apple flavor and does not taste real boozy. The 30 days in secondary probably help this quite a bit as well.

I just finished my first glass and I believe I will have another. That may be a little dangerous though.:cross:

I’m lost… what temp did you bottle condition? If it’s nicely carbonated and still has a sweet apple flavor that means the yeast are still active… but 30 days is a enough time for the yeast to finish the sugar, unless you have stored in the fridge? Brew calcs puts your abv at 11.7 (assuming 60*F), is that the peak of Nottingham? I guess I’m just curious about bottle bombs.

But I do like your recipe… using concentrate instead of more juice!

Cheers!

Definitely not sweet apple flavor just strong apple taste. It went all the way dry. 1.004 if I remember right. I can check my log when I get home tonight. Conditioned at around 65°.

I used Nottingham yeast.

For my first cider, i followed your idea.

4.25 gal apple juice
3 12oz cans treetop concentrate
4 lbs brown sugar
1 pack cote des blanc yeast

OG 1.09 if i read it correctly.
I'd like to sweeten on the back side. Can i do this when i get ready to bottle priming with apple concentrate. Also adding lactose to sweeten the cider?

Back