AHA Rally November 15 - The Bruery, Placentia, CA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
Hey all you Southern California HBT'ers who's all planning to come to the AHA Rally at The Bruery in Placentia. 1-5 pm, free for AHA members, or $33 at the door. I'm planning on making it. They are a new brewery that specializes in Belgian style beers, and have already won several awards at all the local county fairs this year. Hope to see you guys there!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]715 Dunn Way
Placentia, CA 92870
P: 714-996-MALT (6258)
F: 714-829-1403
[email protected][/FONT]

The Bruery AHA Rally

I strongly urge anybody that can make this trip to get their butts down there.
Patrick is a very gracious host. He made some unbelievable Liege waffles for our club when we were there, and of course poured some excellent beers.

KD

So I was there. I wish I could have stayed the entire time. I had a great time, tried most of the beers and have to say that they were really tasty and very interesting at the same time. Unique twists on traditional Belgian beers. Who else ended up there midst the smoke and ash?

I made it for the majority of the rally, we left at about 4:30pm. Great event, SWMBO even won a $25 gift certificate to Stein Fillers in Long Beach (I was hoping for one of those free cases, but I'm not complaining). I've never been there before, but after she claimed her prize all of the guys came up and said I needed to make the trip soon.

Great beer too. Although, I'll pass on the Maple Autumn beer floats. The beer itself was delicious, like drinking a sweet potato pie, but I prefer that beer sans ice cream. The Rues have a great little brewery down there in Placentia!

The only downside was the falling ash and the permanent charred odor floating around all day. It's still lingering in Pasadena too.

Stein Fillers is my local place to get ingredients. Give me a heads up when you go and I'll try to meet you there and maybe swap some brews.

I had to leave after the second raffle. On my way there I was wondering if they were going to have it at all. The place was great. I kept telling my wife it was like my garage, only bigger.

I had to leave after the second raffle. On my way there I was wondering if they were going to have it at all. The place was great. I kept telling my wife it was like my garage, only bigger.

Yes, it really feels like a home brewery gone wild. I love the homebrew attitude of everyone there.

Did anyone else take the tour, the walk around the equipment? :D

I was glad to hear that they plan on blending gueuze from the lambics.

I chatted with him for a few minutes. Both he and his wife seem like great people. I was really surprised how young everyone running the place is. I'm only 29 and Patrick is only 28 I think. Everyone running that place is younger than me!

If they've only been open several months and have that much unique stuff in barrels already I can only wait to see what will be going on in a few years.

I drive the 91 past there twice a day almost everyday for work. I think by Thanksgiving I'll have a growler and will be filling it on a regular basis.

I'll let you know about traveling to Stein Fillers, at the earliest it might be sometime over the Thanksgiving break, or sometime in December.

Anybody planning on entering anything for the Batch No. 50 Competition? I'm having troubles deciding where to start, let alone have it ready by January 9th. They've got two versions of a wit, a saison, numerous strong ales and there's no time for a sour brew/biere de garde.

Right now I'm thinking about altering the grain bill to my rye IPA and adding a Belgian strain for some nice bubble gum flavors, then submit it in the specialty category. Anything goes in category 23 right?

I think it would be appropriate to use the $25 gift certificate on a nice hop schedule. :D

I chatted with him for a few minutes. Both he and his wife seem like great people. I was really surprised how young everyone running the place is. I'm only 29 and Patrick is only 28 I think. Everyone running that place is younger than me!

If they've only been open several months and have that much unique stuff in barrels already I can only wait to see what will be going on in a few years.

I drive the 91 past there twice a day almost everyday for work. I think by Thanksgiving I'll have a growler and will be filling it on a regular basis.

I expect great things from them. He has true passion for what he does and goes out of his way to be accessible. I only wish I were closer and in a position to get down there more often.

He's really an inspiration to me in that he looked at where he was going and chose to do what he wanted to do and what he was passionate about vs. what was expected of him etc. Good stuff.

I was in Stein Fillers Saturday morning and noticed their hop fridge was stocked much better than it had been. They have received 2008 hops and said more were on their way.

Brewsmith said:
I was in Stein Fillers Saturday morning and noticed their hop fridge was stocked much better than it had been. They have received 2008 hops and said more were on their way.

Perfect. Now I just need to put something together that can be in their hands by January 9th and wins the competition! ;)

I've been so stocked up that I haven't purchased much of anything for hops in months. I still have several pounds of mixed stuff plus my first homegrown harvest. I got a bit freaked out and went into survival mode...LOL.

Not if I win... :D

How about we just make a pact so that the winner lists the other as their brew partner? This way, both people get to brew on site and everyone's a winner. :mug:

Except the other guy doesn't get the copious swag and bottles of Batch No. 50

They had the printed rules available at the rally.

Due Date: Entries must be received at The Bruery on January 9th, 2009.

Style Guidelines: 16 (Belgian & French Ale), 17 (Sour Ale), 18 (Belgian Strong Ale), 23 (Specialty Beer)

Judging: Saturday January 17th, 2009

Online Registration will begin December 1st 2008 at
thebruery.com/batch50

Entry Requirements: 2 bottles, regardless of size. Please try to limit to 12 oz., 22 oz., or 750 mL bottles.

The rest is that the best in show winner get's their beer brewed by The Bruery as Batch No. 50, gets to be present for the brewing at The Bruery, and of course get's a bunch of free stuff.

I've got five gallons of Flanders Red that's ready. Time to carb up that keg...

Ooh, a Flander's Red. That sounds nice....wait, what am I saying? No, that sounds horrible, and I don't think the Rues would think anything of it. I say you submit something else, maybe a Belgian Roggenbier. :D

Once all the home brewers in the area catch wind of the competition, I bet there will be some pretty impressive entries. I haven't had the same residence for more than a year in awhile, so I haven't bothered with anything sour, but I sure would like to.

Just in case any of you guys were planning on doing this here are the rules.

Seems as if the deadline was extended until January 17th. I didn't think I'd have enough time to brew anything worth drinking by the 9th so I opted not to, but I don't think I could have pulled off anything for the 17th either.

If you two end up submitting your Red and Bruin good luck, and I call the assistant spot when you win.

Well, the results are in for the Batch 50 competition and...

I didn't win...

But I did get 2 second places! :rockin:

Sour Ale and Specialty Beer, and I'm the only one there with two beers in the finals. The beer that beat me in the Sour Ale catagory was the one that won the competition.
The Bruery: Batch No. 50 Competition

The BOS winner is a very cool poster from the Burgundian Babble Belt and a most awesome yeast expert. He frequently shares his cultures with members of the board and I am lucky enough to have some of Al's bugfarm ready to inoculate my next batch. Congrats BS on your seconds.

I'm not really dissappointed. The Flanders Red was my first sour ale and the Wheat beer was an experiment. It's at least a sign that I'm doing something right.

I'm going to make sure I save enough of both beers for nationals. I'll try to bring some of both up to the NHC this year.

Back