Pumpkin wine recipies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Russz, I was thinking about doing a pumpkin wine. This is what I am considering.

15 lbs of pumpkin for a 5 Gal batch
Food Processor​
Add your "normal" ingredients like yeast, yeast nutrient, camden tablets, sugar, wine tannin, acid
TO taste I added 2 tbs of pumpkin pie spice
After primary I would put in a carboy with a few cinnamon sticks on some fishing line so you can remove them after a couple of weeks... ( I didn't do this but I might in the secondary)

I am actually planning on doing this "recipe" I just made up lol, in time for next years holiday season, the hope is to get a buttery mouth feel with a soft sweet overtone of pumpkin and spice.

Ill add a new post with more specific directions and pictures, maybe even tonight after I go to the local pumpkin patch with the fam! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/pumpkin-wine-436014/

Thanks that sounds like a good recipe. Let me know exact details, I am still a newbie!

You could add spiced flavor using a tincture after fermentation is finished. Typically wine + spices is served as mulled wine.

SO adding spices during fermentation isn't a good idea, is it because the fermentation process is calculated to minimize flavor impact of fermentation?

*Bing searching Mulled Wine*

SO adding spices during fermentation isn't a good idea, is it because the fermentation process is calculated to minimize flavor impact of fermentation?

*Bing searching Mulled Wine*

Not saying its a bad idea. I'm actually doing a cider right now with spices in primary.

Whatever spices you add, do it gradually. You can't get them out once they're in! And they're easy to over do.

AAhh, gotcha!

I thought that I got the tea ball idea from you, actually! Yeah, once it's in, it's in. That's why I am so hesitant to oak or any adjunct.

I started a gallon last Nov using Jack Keller's recipe, which calls for grating the pumpkin as opposed to cubing/crushing. I didn't taste at the last racking (too afraid since the first tasting was TERRIBLE), knowing this was a longer time wine. I'd planned on adding some spices to the secondary about a month before bottling. A couple notes I wish I'd had that may help, especially if grating the pumpkin...

First, use a food processor, DO NOT do by hand!!! 5lbs of grated pumpkin flesh will leave you with hamburger-like knuckles no matter how you try. Second, when transferring to secondary, do so through several progressively smaller sieves. I ran mine through a course mesh straining bag a few times and wished I'd gone to a fine mesh and maybe even something smaller. At first racking there was about 3/8's of a gallon that needed topped up due to all the sediment.

Overall mine is an experiment. If you take it on, PLEASE start a thread and keep us updated (and tips appreciated!!)

I started my own thread on this as well, I used a food processor... after a few close calls with the grater I didn't want to risk a cut/ruining what I had with blood... lol

I put about 1 tbs of pumpkin spice in the primary and it tastes like pumpkin pie right now.... :) hopefully that stays!

tommyboy937 said:
I started my own thread on this as well, I used a food processor... after a few close calls with the grater I didn't want to risk a cut/ruining what I had with blood... lol I put about 1 tbs of pumpkin spice in the primary and it tastes like pumpkin pie right now.... :) hopefully that stays!

Dang that's sounds pretty good that what I want to make, what ur recipe

Dang that's sounds pretty good that what I want to make, what ur recipe

Well you might not want to make my recipie LOL , its a bit "hot" but I was going for high alcohol too, it reminds me of apple pie on the stove but the pumpkin pie version... I linked my thread on this under your OP

tommyboy937 said:
I started my own thread on this as well, I used a food processor... after a few close calls with the grater I didn't want to risk a cut/ruining what I had with blood... lol I put about 1 tbs of pumpkin spice in the primary and it tastes like pumpkin pie right now.... :) hopefully that stays!

Sounds great and just what I am looking for. What's the recipe

Back