This is why I can't have nice things.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jajabee

Reaction score
Well, I've had my beautiful 10gal SS Megapot for a whole two weeks now, and it's already looking like ****. I've done two batches with it, always quick to wash it out after brewing, but the first batch I stored it with its lid on (dumb!), and when I opened it up there was some remaining (stinky) rinse water and a few tiny spots of rust!! Crap. I scrubbed it out with PBW, and it looked ok before the second brew, but now it's looking all gunged up again on the bottom.

How do you guys take care of your SS pots? PBW after every brew? Scour pads? Any advice so I don't end up ruining this thing (if I haven't already!)?

With my keggles I have been rinsing & flipping them over to drip dry. They are easy to keep clean after the original week long soak and scrub to remove years of beer stone, etc.

I would use Barkeepers Friend if you are getting rust on you pots. Use scotch brite or other non metallic pads.

I use the hot water from the immersion chiller and PBW to clean mine. If you let it soak a bit and it will clean up really nice. I don't use abrasive pads very often my pot.

Oxiclean after every session and when it gets nasty Bar Keepers friend, make a paste with it and use a green scrubby will look like new. Wipe out with a soft cloth air dry then store it

21514.jpg

I do a hot water oxiclean scrub with a brush, rinse well, pour in about 1/2 cup white vinegar (mild acid) and wipe entire pot with paper towel (if you have any open wounds vinegar stings like hell) Rinse again, SS looks just like new.

You have a SS pot that rusted?? I didn't think SS rusted?? Especially not over a short period of time like you seem to be describing.

After some quick googling:

3. Can stainless steel rust? Why? (I thought stainless did not rust!)

Answer: Stainless does not "rust" as you think of regular steel rusting with a red oxide on the surface that flakes off. If you see red rust it is probably due to some iron particles that have contaminated the surface of the stainless steel and it is these iron particles that are rusting. Look at the source of the rusting and see if you can remove it from the surface. If the iron is embedded in the surface, you can try a solution of 10% nitric and 2% hydrofluoric acid at room temperature or slightly heated. Wash area well with lots and lots of water after use. Commercially available "pickling paste" can also be used. See "The Care and Cleaning of Stainless Steel" for more information.

What makes SS rust resistant is the chromium oxide passive layer. This is either done with acid to remove the iron from the surface or just letting it sit and the air will do the same . SS can rust if the oxide layer is removed or its of very cheap quality like a 430 SS auto exhaust systems on newer cars. They will rust but much slower than just regular zinc coated pipes .

So if I had to vigorously scrub a SS kettle did I inadvertently remove this oxide? I knew boiling aluminum would build up a desirable oxide. A little off topic, and I'll search around but, how long will "air" take to build this back up, and will boiling water accomplish this quicker? Whats the best method to do this?

PS
Springer, Your avatar is....... alluring.

Back