You're gunna kill me- "No Airlock Bubbling"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearsWickedBrew

Reaction score
Let me preface by saying I've read Revvy's sermon about no airlock bubbling more than once. I've pitched about 14hours ago...and nothing. Im using a brewers best pale ale kit w/ muntons yeast. I used muntons for my other brew (this brew is my 2nd batch) and I didnt start immediatly w/ the tshirt wick trick...this time i did. So for next steps Im going to try and warm up the temp a bit because last time I had airlock bubbling in 7 hours.

When sanitizing...I used starsan...I used really hot water and I'm wondering if this warped (although this is not noticeable) the plastic so that I dont have a tight seal and CO2 is leaking out.

Maybe my yeast is dead (I know @ this point..i still need to give it more time)...like I said its Muntons Dry yeast...I rehydrated saw a couple bubbles in the process.

Just wondering if I should RDWHAHB or take off the lid at some point to inspect?

ooo...I did push down on the lid like 1hr ago...with a moderate push...a couple bubbles did come through. Could this happen even if there was no C02in the bucket?

...sorry for the long post...my internet connection is in & out. I wanted to take advantage while I had it.

Well, you know what we're all going to say! Relax, and leave it alone for about 36 hours or so before you consider doing anything at all. Sometimes fermentation takes a while to start for various reasons. Just keep it at 65-68 degrees and walk away!

Yup, even though you read Revvy's thing, you must have missed the one by Orfy about 6 slots above your post titled "fermantation can take 24 to 72 hours to start"

RDW... blah bah blah

14 hours is to soon to worry. Take Yoopers advice and keep the temp in range and things will turn out fine.

Ya..i figured as much. I guess I got spoiled by my first batch- when I saw bubbling at 7 hours.

WHOA WHOA WHOA! GET THIS.....

I knew i filled my 3 pc airlock a weee bit too much..so I wanted to take a straw to take a lil sanitizer out of the airlock. I popped the top off the airlock...and BOOM....the little dome almost came flying out. The thing immedialtey started bubbling....I filled the airlock too high! It wouldnt bubble..because the dome of the airlock would hit the top (roof) of the airlock!!

Some yeast will take off right away, while others take their time. As you gain experience, you'll worry less.

Guys..whenever I put the top on my 3pc airlock...it stops bubbling! Im using starsan in my airlock...and its so bubbled up (i'm less than half full in the airlock)..that it hits the top of the airlock...and it wont move. Can I add a little vodka?..will this stop bubbles maybe?

WHOA WHOA WHOA! GET THIS.....

I knew i filled my 3 pc airlock a weee bit too much..so I wanted to take a straw to take a lil sanitizer out of the airlock. I popped the top off the airlock...and BOOM....the little dome almost came flying out. The thing immedialtey started bubbling....I filled the airlock too high! It wouldnt bubble..because the dome of the airlock would hit the top (roof) of the airlock!!

That shoudn't have mede a huge difference. If it's fine now, leave it, otherwise make sure there's nothing blocking the holes in the airlock lid.

That shoudn't have mede a huge difference. If it's fine now, leave it, otherwise make sure there's nothing blocking the holes in the airlock lid.

..I wouldn't have thought so either. But it made the difference between no bubbling...and bubbling like crazy. I dont like starsan in the airlock....last time I used vodka. When the airlock bubbles once...the starsan forms like 3 bubbles..and then hits the top of the airlock..and it seems like it stops it from bubbling. I poured a little vodka on top..and that killed the starsan bubbles temporarily. If i left the top of the airlock off...I wouldnt have a problem..it becomes a steady bubbling machine w/ the top of the airlock off.

Short of the long: It seems like the starsan foaming action is jamming the airlock

Why don't you just pull the airlock, dump the star-san and replace it with water or vodka? The pressure inside the fermenter isn't going to allow anything in within the short time the airlock would be off to do this.

True..but I'm a little nervous I could end up w/ a grommet in my fermentor (tho it seems to happen to everyone) Right now..whenever the bubbles stop..I take off the top of the airlock.. pull out more sanitizer w/ a straw.and add a lil more vodka

Assume my airlock was jammed during the first 8 hours or so of fermentation. Do you think CO2 was still managing to escape into the airlock? If not, any idea if not enough C02 getting out can impact taste?....just curious

True..but I'm a little nervous I could end up w/ a grommet in my fermentor (tho it seems to happen to everyone) Right now..whenever the bubbles stop..I take off the top of the airlock.. pull out more sanitizer w/ a straw.and add a lil more vodka

Assume my airlock was jammed during the first 8 hours or so of fermentation. Do you think CO2 was still managing to escape into the airlock? If not, any idea if not enough C02 getting out can impact taste?....just curious

No, there will be no change in flavor. The co2 is in the bucket or carboy, and it provides a "blanket" over the top of the beer to help protect it from oxygen (co2 is heavier than room air). It's fine. Don't worry. Maybe it is bubbling up from the fermenter and filling your airlock a little- that is why it is so full. Don't worry about it- just try to walk away and not think about it anymore!

I'm guessing that there is a slight air leak somewhere that is causing this. The CO2 pressure is going to take the path of least resistance. It's quite possible that with the top on the airlock, there is slightly too much resistance and the pressure finds another way to exit. As soon as the top comes off, there is less resistance and the pressure will come out there, hence the bubbling.

Back