Question on SS Nipple for connecting two water filters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spydre

Reaction score
I'm running two water filters in series connected with a 1" x 1/2" stainless steel NPT nipple I bought from Brooklyn Homebrew HERE. The only issue is that the nipple is a little too short, so it leaks a bit. I was looking around for a longer one (2" maybe?) and came up with THIS, but wanted to make sure this looked good, since I'm terrible with metallurgy and picking out fittings over the internet. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question!

Last edited by a moderator:
If the filters are not touching a longer nipple will not help. Try to remove the side that is leaking and put a couple more rounds of Teflon tape on it. Pipe dope also does a good job.

Just use a galvanized nipple from the depot. cheap! Or use copper and and male adapters.

If the filters are not touching a longer nipple will not help. Try to remove the side that is leaking and put a couple more rounds of Teflon tape on it. Pipe dope also does a good job.

I tried using Teflon tape, but the problem is that they're touching, so the nipple doesn't go all the way into either of the water filters, since it's not long enough.

Well in that case, if you have already purchased the second fitting above, it will work. If not what mux said will work just as well for less and plastic is also a suitable option.

Sounds good. Thanks for the help! I always thought avoiding galvanized steel in brewing was preferable, but maybe I was wrong.

Spydre said:
Sounds good. Thanks for the help! I always thought avoiding galvanized steel in brewing was preferable, but maybe I was wrong.

Your application is for cold water. You could use pex too but it would be more expensive.

I would avoid using a plastic nipple unless your duel filters are permanently mounted. I have already broken one of the plastic nipples and switched to brass.

Back