Browesr Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutus Brewer

Reaction score
There are 2 computers where I work that will not display our company web page. This is a recent development and it has me and the hosting company baffled. Most of the machines in the office are running Windows 7 or 8 except for 3 that are running XP, and it's 2 or those 3 that will not display the page. All that loads is a page showing the logo of the hosting company and the computer IP address.

So far I've flushed the dns, deleted all browsing history, cookies, etc, and the tech support at the hosting company has analyzed some connection parameters and they say everything is fine. Anyone have any ideas?

Off the top of my head I wonder if your DNS is correct. If by chance the machines that are displaying correctly are using cached data, and the ones that are not are using the current (incorrect) data, then flushing the DNS of the non-working machines does no good.

Maybe try flushing the DNS on a machine that IS working correctly will not show a logo?

Maybe do a traceroute from each of the machines and see what happens?

Off the top of my head I wonder if your DNS is correct. If by chance the machines that are displaying correctly are using cached data, and the ones that are not are using the current (incorrect) data, then flushing the DNS of the non-working machines does no good.

Maybe try flushing the DNS on a machine that IS working correctly will not show a logo?

Maybe do a traceroute from each of the machines and see what happens?

Thanks for your help!

I flushed the DNS of my machine and it still calls up the web page. I did a traceroute for the hosting company yesterday and they said it looked normal.

1. Did the XP systems display the pages in the past.
2. any changes to your company homepage recently.
3. try different browsers.

My thoughts are along the lines of webbrowser compatablity.

if it is IE, try a reset (tools >Internet options > advanced >reset) seems to fix a lot of IE problems. Check the hosts file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\ and see if there is an entry or maybe just perform a nslookup webpage on both a working and non working to make sure they call up the same ip address. Cuss at it. Loudly.

If all else fails PC load letter it like in office space. The other will work out of fear.

1. Did the XP systems display the pages in the past.
2. any changes to your company homepage recently.
3. try different browsers.

My thoughts are along the lines of webbrowser compatablity.

1. Yes, the browser previously displayed the web page
2. No
3. Tried Firefox and Chrome

if it is IE, try a reset (tools >Internet options > advanced >reset) seems to fix a lot of IE problems. Check the hosts file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\ and see if there is an entry or maybe just perform a nslookup webpage on both a working and non working to make sure they call up the same ip address. Cuss at it. Loudly.

If all else fails PC load letter it like in office space. The other will work out of fear.

I will try that.

Thanks,

Back