California Common Beer with some extra cascade...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverbbqBrew

Reaction score
Just brewed an anchor steam partial mash recipe from my local homebrew shop. On a whim, and inspired by the Dogfish 60 minute IPA I had in Chicago last week, I decided to add about an extra ounce of Cascade in small increments throughout the boil. Brew went great, though still waiting for airlock activity after 8 hours at 65 degrees. When I tasted it before I pitched the yeast, it was a force to be reckoned with, the bitterness was pleasing, kinda like a 3 floyd's alpha king.

I love the mouthfeel of anchor steam, but I wanted a little more bitterness and floral hoppiness...anyone think I should dryhop to balance the bitter with some more floral notes as well?

5 gallon batch
• 7 lbs. pale malt extract
• 8 oz. crystal malt, 40° Lovibond
• 2 oz. Northern Brewer hops (8.8% alpha acid) 60 min.
• 1 oz. Cascade hops (5.2% alpha acid) in small increments throughout the boil, from 45 min - 15 min...
• 1 oz. Cascade hops (5.2% alpha acid) 10 min.
• 1 tsp. Irish moss for 15 min.
• WLP810 White Labs liquid San Francisco Lager Yeast

O.G. 1052

:tank:

That is up to you, if the bitterness is as high as you want it, I would leave it alone. I have found that dry hopping does impart a little more bitterness despite not being boiled. Good luck.

Back