Lara Pale Ale (2008 NHC Gold) - IBU question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggieactuary

Reaction score
I saw the recipe for Richard McLain's Lara Pale Ale on the AHA website (http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/LaraPaleAleAmericanPaleAle), and I thought it looked interesting. I plugged it into BeerAlchemy, and it came out with only 16 IBUs. So, I tried it in BrewPal and I got 16 IBUs (or 20 IBUs if I use Rager instead of Tinseth).

I'm not worried about a few IBUs here or there, but the low end for an APA is usually around 30 IBUs, right? 16 IBUs seems significantly lower than I was expecting.

I've actually been looking for a maltier pale ale, so I think this might be recipe I'm looking to try.

But I'm just wondering if I'm missing something, or if the recipe is missing an addition, or maybe a typo on the bittering addition or something like that.

Am I missing something? Any thoughts?

Certainly looks somewhere between English and American pale ale to me. English ale strains have a tendency to strip more hop bitterness out of a beer as well. Maybe the hops are for a 5 gallon batch?

I only get around 16 as well. It's nice to see the judges can pick up on a beer that has half of the ibu's necessary to get it to style, and that's on the low end.:rolleyes:

That being said, it sounds tasty.

I missed that it's a 70 minute boil, although you're only gaining a couple of ibu's.

_

So, it seems like doubling the hop additions (or cutting the volume and grain in half) could be the actual recipe, right?

I noticed the same thing yesterday when I entered it into my brewpal on my phone. I was thinking to just double the 2 60 minute additions and that gets you right up to the 30 range for IBUs which is more appropriate for the style.
I'm interested to see what the AHA says in response. If thats truly the recipe that won I might try it exactly as written.

The AHA replied and said that the listed recipe is the recipe that Richard Hill gave them.

They also noted that an older version of the BJCP guideline for APA had the low end at 20 IBUs.

Has anyone brewed this 'as is'? I'm getting 19.1 IBUs using rager. I'm tempted to give it a try since I have all the hops on hand, but I'm still a little nervous.

Back