Super noob needs easy IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doornumber3

Reaction score
So i'm super new (1st batch is fermenting as we speak). I'm looking for a great extract ipa recipe to try. The on issue is i can't ferment any lower than 68-69 degrees. I'm doing a 5 gallon batch.

definitely open to any tips others may have.

As far as your fermenting temps... have you tried a swamp cooler and frozen water bottles? I seem to be getting around 64-66 with that technique.

TheJasonT said:
As far as your fermenting temps... have you tried a swamp cooler and frozen water bottles? I seem to be getting around 64-66 with that technique.

Thanks. I am going to do the swamp cooler. Just read up on that. Thanks

Check out some of the kits from northern brewer or midwest supplies and others. They put together good recipes that are pretty easy to fallow.

Another way of cooling the fermenters are wrapping wet clothes around them and using a fan to blow some cool air on it, works perfectly.

Cooling is easy- I love the wet towel/cloth around the fermentor and pointing a fan at it. It works for me in 80 degree weather, just need to keep the towels wet.

What kind of hops do you like? Or, alternatively, what are your favorite IPAs?

An easy one would be:

9lbs extra light LME
steep 8oz crystal 40L

Boil:
60m 1oz Centennial
20m 1oz Centennial
10m 1oz centennial
0m 1oz centennial

Dry hop 2 oz centennial.

This assumes your centennials are ~10%AA, but depending on what you have you may need to change your bittering addition. Swap out your favorite hop as preferred!

Thanks. I'm a total hophead and really like southern tier and hop wallop. I'm going to try that for a starry and may try a double next time.

Back