Reading/Lancaster/Allentown area grain buy- round 5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomRep

Reaction score
Finally time for another grain buy! This buy will be a little different due to some issues I had with the last one. There will be no partial sack orders in this buy. If you work out a partial sack order with someone else in the buy, thats fine. Heck I'll even have a scale here for you to split it. However, due to being shorted two sacks somehow or another last buy and having to pay two people for the missing sacks, I'm keeping it to full sack orders this time. Work out the splits amongst yourselves via PM's please to keep the thread on track and shorter in length. Also, everyone in the buy needs to provide me with a telephone number and an e-mail address. I had some issues contacting people in the last buy which ended up screwing up the delivery date. If you request some sacks and I don't get a PM with those two items, your request will not show up with the current orders. I hope to take orders for two weeks (I have a lot of guys that want in on this buy), receive payments the third week and hopefully have it shipped the Friday of the third week or the following Friday (March 2nd or 9th). Payments will be made to me via PayPal, Personal check, or cash. If cash, it needs to be prior to the order date. PayPal is the preferred method due to speed. Pickup will once again be at my house (address below). That seemed to work best for me and I think most everyone with the last buy. I'm hoping to get the grains on a Friday and have a Friday evening/Saturday pickup window. Pickup times and dates will depend on when payments arrive in my bank account.

Pickup date: TBA

Pickup location: 2230 Moselem Springs Road
Fleetwood, PA 19522

Catalog: http://countrymaltgroup.com/download.asp?f=f6 password "greatmalt"

Current number of sacks: FULL

Current order:

mcgearybrewing - CM-2ROW x3

josephus PAID - CM-PALE x1, CM-2ROW x2

Germanrockit PAID - GW-PALE x1, BZ-PILS x1, BZ-WHT x1, TF-MOPA x1, CM-2ROW x1

Bert1097 PAID - CM-2ROW x4, BD-MOPA x1

milldoggy PAID - BZ-HDBR x1, CM-2ROW x1, CM-SPIL x1

Brewsncrabs PAID - CM-2ROW x1, TF-MOPA x1

pelipen PAID - TF-GPRM x1, GB-ESB x1

Coohang PAID - TF-MOPA x1, FB-PILS x1, CM-2ROW x1

poolanex PAID - CM-PALE x3, CM-2ROW x3, CM-WHET x1, BZ-DMUN x1, GW-VIEN x1, BD-CHLT x1, BD-CR55 x1

Oldfart PAID - CM-2ROW x3, GW-C60 x1

anengineer PAID - CM-PALE x1, CM-2ROW x1

beerloaf PAID - BZ-PILS x1, CM-PALE x1

pava PAID - BD-MOPA x1, CM-SPIL x1, CM-2ROW x2

djstabby PAID - BZ-VIEN x1, CM-PALE x1, TF-MOPA x1

jazzman PAID - CM-PALE x1, CM-2ROW x1

Dukeman9988 PAID - BD-MOPA x1, GW-2ROW x1

Coalcracker PAID - CM-2ROW x2

kkocher13 PAID - BZ-PILS x1, BZ-HDBR x1, CM-2ROW x1

Hackrsackr PAID - BD-PALE x1, BZ-PILS x1, BD-MOPA x1, BZ-DMUN x1, GW-C40 x1

idratherbeinmexico PAID - TF-MOPA x1

rianrt PAID - CM-2ROW x4, BD-MOPA x1

kds1398 PAID - CM-2ROW x2, CM-PALE x2, GW-VIEN x1

Driver PAID - BZ-VIEN x1

snowveil PAID - BZ-MUNH x1, TF-GPRM x1

TomRep - CM-PALE x2, BZ-PILS x1

miketedesco PAID - CM-2ROW x2

mjwitz PAID - TF-MOPA x1, FB-PILS x1

psutimmah - CM-2ROW x5, BZ-VIEN x1, GW-C40 x1, BZ-WHT x1, BZ-MUNH x1

koedbrew PAID - BD-MOPA x1

gswartley PAID - Cm-2ROW x3

Domes PAID - CM-PALE x1, CM-WHET x1, BD-MOPA x1

Sithdad - TF-GPRM x1

bphelan PAID - CM-2ROW x1, CM-PALE x1

Risser09 PAID - CM-PILS x1, CM-2ROW x6, BZ-SPLT x1, BD-MOPA x1, TF-PRL x1, GP-FLBLY x1, CR-DEXTR50 x1, GP-RICE x1

Nyg215 PAID - CM-2ROW x2, CM-PALE x1, BD-MOPA x1, GW-C60 x1

drawnablank PAID - CM-2ROW x1, TF-MOPA x1

Hi Tom,
(1) Great Western - Pale Malt = GW-PALE
(1) Best Maltz - Pilsner = BZ-PILS
(1) Best Maltz - Pale Wheat = BZ-WHT

I didn’t see rice hulls. Are we still able to get them?

Are we able to buy DME on this buy?

I’m looking to partial sacks of Crystal Malts too. I say we talk about this on:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/lehigh-valley-area-group-buy-300965/

I know you were talking about a hop buy. When do you plan on starting that? I don’t need hops now...just wondering.

That sucks that you had to cover the cost of those two bags of grain. You did that buy without ordering anything for yourself. I will chip in a few bucks to help cover the cost. I want you to keep having these group buys but I don’t want it to more of an expense then it already is. I know you say you spend very little time on the order but being available for pick-up is big commitment of time.

German- I appreciate that. To be honest, I haven't even looked at the catalog yet. I believe by looking at the Philly thread, we should be able to get DME. I can't imagine they would have removed rice hulls from the sheet, but who knows. As soon as I get a chance I will look over it and get an e-mail out to NCM about the DME. Also, for anyone who gave me phone numbers and/or e-mail addresses last buy, I need them again as well. My dumb a$$ threw them away.. Mcgeary, I have yours.
Tom

The catalog lists hops also. Would it be possible to get hops and grains on this same buy?

No I'm not going to mess with hops from NCM. all their hops come in 11# bales or something like that so trying to fill some varieties will be a real pain. When I do the hop buy from Crosby, we can get just a single pound of whatever we want and it's not a problem. As soon as the grain buy is done with I plan to start the hop buy.
Tom

GermanRockit said:
Mike,

I'll take your rice hulls.

Sounds good. I really don't even need them with my new false bottom. If you want to get them before the group buy, let me know and we can meet up somewhere

Hey all - if a recipe calls for Belgian Pilsner - what would you select from the Country Malt Group PDF/link above?

Looking forward to placing an order...:)

Hey all - if a recipe calls for Belgian Pilsner - what would you select from the Country Malt Group PDF/link above?

Looking forward to placing an order...:)

I would buy the Malteries Franco‐Belges (MFB) Pilsen (FB-PILS).

Tom, thank you so much for doing this again. I understand what a PIA it is.

I'll take

4 bags of CM-2row
1 bag of BD-MOPA

Coohang- I use Best Malz Pilsner (BZ-PILS) for all my Belgians and English beers. Never had a complaint though I never used the Franco- Belges Germanrockit recommends.
Bert1097- not a problem
Wade- You snuck in there while I was posting! No Briess products. However, I think the Philly guys were able to get Briess DME. Didn't get a chance to email NCM today.

Finally time for another grain buy! ....

Since I'm new to this, I have a couple questions.

I need some(a couple bags) base malts and am asking for type/brand
recommendations. I brew mainly amber ales.

The catalog lists $.05/lb milling. Do I have to state I want the grain milled,
and is it worth them milling it, or should I buy a mill? I BIAB.

(I too will kick in several bucks to make up for your loss)

Unless you're going to brew all 55lbs relatively quick I wouldn't get the grain milled...In my opinion, you'd be better off buying your own mill and not risk the grain going bad...

Tom,
Think I want to try the new Best Heidelberg malt.

1x BZ‐HDBR
1x CM-2ROW
1x CM‐SPIL

You ever order Star San or PBW?

Canadian 2row CM-2ROW is a cheap great base grain. That probably would be fine for any amber. If you want more authentic, get the Thomas Fawcett Marris Otter or Bairds Maris Otter. Get it unmilled, it will last longer. You are welcome to come down and use mine. I am right off 724. You could mill a few batches worth. Plus I have 5 taps to sample while milling :)

Tom,
I'll take a bag of CM 2 row.

Anyone else want to split a bag of Maris Otter, please PM me.

Thanks
Chris

Okay, first of all, I left my book up at work so I will update everything tomorrow. Secondly, I never ordered any chemicals off them. I e-mailed them last buy about chemicals and never got a responce. They are HORRIBLE at returning e-mails. I will try again though and shoot them an e-mail sometime tomorrow during business hours (they seem to respond best then) and inquire about the DME and chemicals. anengineer- milldoggy hit the grains right on the head and you'd also be able to use my mill if you'd like. Since your BIAB, I'm sure you'd want them run through twice anyway which I'm sure NCM wouldn't do.
Tom

Ok. I finally decided. Put me down for:

1x TF-GPRM Fawcett Golden Promise
1x GB-ESB Gambrinus ESB Pale

I'm hoping I don't go wrong here. I read that there were problems with the Maris Otter crop this year. I think this is going to be a year of browns and English pales.

Ill start with

3- CM-PALE
2- CM-2ROW
1-CM-WHEAT
1-BZ-DMUN
1-GW-VIEN

Anyone interesed in spliting any braids dark malts(Choc,Black or Roasted Braley)?

Okay, I need some opinions. I've always used Canada Malt 2 Row and never had an issue with it. But when I do the orders I've been seeing more and more Canada Pale malt in the final tally. Those of you who use(d) both, can you determine a distinct difference in your beers? Also, I've always used Thomas Fawcett Marris Otter and have been seeing a lot of Bairds in it's place. Once again, any differences in the finished product? Thanks!
Tom

Can I put an order in for 5S‐AC5‐4 and 2x 5S‐STAR ‐ 32 ounce?

If so I may also grab a sack or two of grain.

Thanks!

Hi Tom!

Please put me down for:

CM-2ROW X 3
GW-C60 X 1

I'll PM you my Email and phone # asap.

Thanx for your efforts.

Put me down for:

1- CM-PALE
1- CM-2ROW

(thanks for the advice and the offers milldoggy and TomRep)

I've odered a Rebel Mill Grain Crusher.

TomRep said:
Okay, I need some opinions. I've always used Canada Malt 2 Row and never had an issue with it. But when I do the orders I've been seeing more and more Canada Pale malt in the final tally. Those of you who use(d) both, can you determine a distinct difference in your beers? Also, I've always used Thomas Fawcett Marris Otter and have been seeing a lot of Bairds in it's place. Once again, any differences in the finished product? Thanks!
Tom

I noticed this as well and am interested in opinions too

Thanks for doing this again Tom. I would like...

1 x BZ-Pils
1 x CM-Pale

beerloaf

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the heads up and for running this thing again.

Put me down for:
BD‐MOPA x 1
CM‐SPIL x 1
CM‐2ROW x 2

Hi Tom,
Thanks for putting another one of these together. Put me down for:

1 x BZ-VIEN
1 x CM-PALE
1 x TF-MOPA

Likewise, thanks for putting this together.
I'd like:
1- CM-PALE
1- CM-2ROW
Also, if enough go in to do chemicals I'd like to get:
1- 5S‐STAR ‐ 32 ounce
*I don't find too much difference between the CM pale and 2row myself after brewing with them. Pale a little maltier, not much.

Okay, one pallet filled. Going good so far. I need contact info for the following gents (please): josephus (e-mail address only), Germanrockit, pava, and beerloaf
Thanks guys!
tom

Tom, Thanks for the message. If there is still room, I will take a 1x Briess 2 row its item number 5298, 1x BZ-PILS and 1x BZ-HDBR. Also keep me posted on the hop buy. I'm doing a 10 gallon hopslam clone and will need some serious amounts of simcoe. Thanks again, Kyle

Back