No hops during boil, only dry-hopped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-oh

Reaction score
Has anyone ever attempted such madness? Foregoing the standard hop additions during a 1 hour boil and instead dry hopping the beer with the same amount that would have been consumed during boil?

You'd have a cloyingly sweet beer with hop aroma and absolutely no hop bitterness. The bittering charge is absolutely crucial to balance the malty sweetness.

You'd have hop flavor but overall it would probably be pretty sweet with no bitterness. That being said, no I've never tried it. If I did, it would probably be on a 1 gal batch.

Extremely bad idea. I made an IPA, left out just the aroma hops, and massively dry hopped it. Really disappointing. The aroma was very simple and lacked any depth or staying power. If you are looking for huge hop flavor/aroma without excessive bittering, you can double up on the bittering hops, but make the add at 25 minutes instead of 60.

Latest posts

Back