In need of recipe help for single hop IPA series

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpertskir

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and while I like a lot of beer styles I am a hop head(and so is my SMWBO, she bought me my starter kit) and in an effort to better understand hops I want to create a standard IPA recipe that I can repeatedly use for a single hop varietal in order to better understand what each hop brings to the table.

I extract brew, BTW.

I want to have the same malt backbone(modest gravity, 1.050-1.065 or so) and a standard hop schedule and amounts for this recipe and I think that a large hop bill will accentuate the differences better. This project will obviously not be appropriate for many hop varietals. I am also considering using some warrior or magnum as the bittering hops for recipe and keeping that consistent throughout the other varietals explored.

Anyone have a recipe that will fit this bill?

What timing. A few days ago, I decided to coordinate the same type experiment with the homebrew club I'm in. So far about 20 people are planning to participate, so it should be one hell of a hop learning session when we get all the beers together.

What I find funny is we wanted a simple grain bill, and after fiddling, ended up with something almost identical to the dead ringer kit linked above. I ended up at 14 lbs 2-row and 1 lb crystal 20, or, converted to extract, around 9 lbs LME and 1 lb crystal 20.

I extract brew, BTW

A very simple pale ale recipe is ... steep 8 oz crystal 40 or 60 add 6 Lb DME and hop to the IBU's you want.

I did this a lot when I first started and it gave me good results and a chance to taste the hops.

Because you are using LME or DME, you can just boil the water with the buttering hops only. Add the extract in the last 15 mins. along with the finishing hops. Throw in your final aroma hops at flame out. Because the extract has already been boiled, you can get better hop utilization by adding it at the end. Sounds odd but it works. If doing west coast style, stick with the "C" named hops. Personally, I like to finish with a 1 oz charge of Crystal hops or Citra then dry hop with something in the 5-6 AA range for an aroma that keeps for a while in bottles.

Back