sample 1 week after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nowashburn

Reaction score
it's been 1 week since I bottled and I drank a sample just out of curiosity. I obviously knew it wasn't near done.

carbonation naturally was pretty minimal but it did form a small head and there was some rising bubbles in the beer. It was cloudy but then again I didn't use a secondary and the ale only spent 2 weeks in the primary.

the beer however tasted sour and not much different then the sample I tasted before bottling. My question is how much will the taste of the beer change when bottled for an appropriate amount of time?

thanks!

LOTS hah,
but seriously give it time, the flavor will mature and be very different from when you first bottle. what you are tasting now is like the basis of what it will be like, it will only get better from here
and the longer you can sit on it the better it will be. I've got a brown ale thats been in the bottles for 8 months and its fantastic, ( I just wish I had the willpower to let all my beers sit that long)
depending on your OG it will start to get into its prime around a month and a half or so...longer if theres a higher ABV

It will get better. Let it sit in the bottles for at least 3 weeks aside from tasting one more after the 2nd week. I always tasted 1 a week when I bottled. It is cool to see how it comes along.

it will get alot better i bottled my brew and tasted flat uncarbed and had a overpowering banana flavor i thought i was doomed to have bad beer.but after one week no banana flavor still no carbonation,and just the other night i popped one at the 2 week mark and tasted great and lots of carbonation.i cant wait till next week to try another or four or five brews and see how they taste :)

+1 to the "It'll get better...". My first ever brew was, well, funky when that young and I was worried I had ruined it. I followed the advice of an experienced brewer and let is set without touching it and was honestly suprised at the improvement. It never was anywhere near an award winner, in fact it was nothing better than average/drinkable, but it was obvious that time helped it. Let it set and see how it matures into something better.

Sounds similar popped one of my week old Nut Brown's yesterday with dinner, it had a real "thin" carbonation kinda reminiscent of like a champagne carbonation kinda thin and fizzy and no real head or body to it. Taste wasn't half bad, bettting in a couple more weeks it'll be quite different.

Back