Recipe thoughts - Belgian Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridire

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I have my first two brews in the fermenters and none ready to drink, yet I'm thinking of the 3rd already. I'm thinking of something a little lighter that the wife might actually drink. I put this together to try and make a Belgian Blonde that will be fairly easy to make with extracts/partial mash. I appreciate any thoughts/changes:

(1.0) lb. 2-row Pilsner Malt
(1.0) lbs. Wheat Malt, Belgian
(0.5) lbs. Wheat flaked
(0.5) lbs. caramel 10L

(3.3) lbs. Light Pils LME
(3.3) lbs. Golden Light LME

(2) oz. Willamette hops (1 oz. at 60 minutes, 1 at dry hop 1 week prior to bottle)

Yeast = T58

Hoping to get an OG of between 1.052 and 1.055 and FG of around 1.010 to 1.015

60 minute partial mash of all grains at 150 - 155 degrees in 3/4 - 1 gallon of water.

sparge in 3.25 gallons of water at 170 degrees.

75 minute boil with the Light Pils LME added right away but the Golden LME added late (or should I go all Light Pils?).

Revised. And yes, I'm going more for a Blonde.

With US-05 this won't be a Belgian Wheat. You would need to use a WLP-400 Belgian Wheat yeast or even a Belgian Wit yeast. With US-05, you would be making an American Wheat that would be very clear. I re-read your post and originally I thought I had read Wheat but see that it is a Blonde, so the yeast still should be a Belgian but maybe a WLP-550 Belgian Ale would be better.

Nuggethead said:
With US-05 this won't be a Belgian Wheat. You would need to use a WLP-400 Belgian Wheat yeast or even a Belgian Wit yeast. With US-05, you would be making an American Wheat that would be very clear. I re-read your post and originally I thought I had read Wheat but see that it is a Blonde, so the yeast still should be a Belgian but maybe a WLP-550 Belgian Ale would be better.

That's why I ask. Thanks.

Revised.

This isn't really my style if beer. I like 'em dark or hoppy. But am stepping in a different direction to see I can make something the wife will drink.

Back