First Batch Brown Ale Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tre6mafya

Reaction score
I am getting ready to bottle my first ever batch of beer. i did a brown ale extract with specialty grains and will bottle this sunday. My question is how much priming sugar should I use for my 5gallon batch before I siphon it into bottles? I am hoping to get good carbonation and am trying not to mess it up. Thanks

I like to use around 4.0 ounces (by weight not volume) of corn sugar for most 5 gallon batches.

Do I jut boil the corn sugar in a saucepan for a few minutes before pouring it into my bottling bucket? Sorry really new to this

Better to boil some water, dissolve the sugar into it and then let it cool to the beer temp. I don't think you'll get good results boiling the sugar itself. I mean to do this everytime, but I have forgotten the last few times and dump the sugar straight into the bottling bucket. Give it a gentle stir with your mash paddle to get it mixed up and you're good to go. No problems yet.

use a carb calculator. Most browns/milds/porters need very light carbonation so 4 oz sounds a bit much. I think the brown I bottled last I used 2.5 oz.

You can really ruin a good smooth beer by introducing too much carbonation. It will mask all the good flavors.

Back