Do I have the right fermenting signs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeeba

Reaction score
Brewing Mr. Beer recipe Columbus' Cascading Amber Ale, it took about 15 hours before I saw any signs of life and from what I have read here that is doing just fine.

Around 15 hours I saw all that gunk on the top of the beer and this morning (about 30- 35 hours) when I checked it all the gunk was gone but I can see very tiny bubbles coming up; kind of looks like when you poor a 7-up and wait 10 min there are still bubbles coming up but not a ton of them there is also a hop sack in the brew and that does have a lot of little bubbles coming up around it. I am keeping the temp pretty steady around 68-70F.

My question here is; is it ok that all the stuff is not on top and all I see are tiny little bubbles?

Yes,it's fine. After initial fermentation,the krausen falls & it slowly,uneventfully creeps down to FG. Then give it another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then bottle.

Yes,it's fine. After initial fermentation,the krausen falls & it slowly,uneventfully creeps down to FG. Then give it another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then bottle.

+1

"Gunk" = Krausen

Thank for the quick responses. Just got a hydrometer last night so I'll test it in a few days.

Latest posts

Back