Quick Help Needed AG to Extract Conversion WITH Oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewrican

Reaction score
I really want to do this recipe from Biermuncher. I am not AG yet though :(

I know that the oats have to be mashed with something else or they will not do anything for the brew. Can someone give me a quick Extract conversion that INCLUDES the partial mash that I will need to do with the oats to make them useful.

ALL GRAIN - 5 Gallons
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Fuggles [4.52%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.20%] (2 min)

0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)

1.00 cup Malto-Dextrine (Boil 20.0 min)
4.00 oz Lactose (Boil 15.0 min)

1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.00 lb
Mash In Add 4.06 gal of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F 45 min
Mash Out Add 2.50 gal of water at 206.7 F 175.0 F 15 min

Primary 1 Week (60 Degrees)
Secondary 10 Days (60 Degrees)
Kegged and Force Carbed or Primed and Bottled

ahh crap. Munich needs to be mashed too.. so make sure that gets included in there.

I guess i just dont know what extract to use and how much especially since i need to reduce the amount of extract used compared to a typical AG to extract conversion becuase i need to mash the munich and the oats with some of the pale malt... how much do i need to mash in order to make the oats and mnich work.

Assuming your boil kettle is at least 4 gallons:

Replace 6 pounds of the two row with 3.5 pounds of light DME.

Put 2 gallons in your brew pot and get it up to about 166F, bag up these grains:

2.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)

Drop it into your water, suspending the grain bag onto the sides of the pot with spring clips so that you can stir well with the bag open. Cover for 5 minutes and check the temp. If you're below 156F, add a little heat and stir the whole time until you get it up to 155F. Turn off heat, cover and insulate for 60 minutes.

If you have another large enough pot, heat another 2 gallons of water to 180F, after 60 minutes, remove the grainbag from the larger pot, let drip, then put it into the 180F water and stir again. Remove the bag. Add that water into the main kettle and boil as usual. Add the DME with only 15 minutes of the boil remaining.

that is the only reason i am not AG :( ha ha

My pot is exactly 4 gallons so when i do this I would not be able to boil. Should i steep the 30 and chocolate to allow me to reduce the amount of water for the partial mash? If so, how much water should i use in both steps (mash and sparge).

I have 1 4 gallon pot and 2 2gallon pots. Not sure if i can just split up the boils and just split the hops accordingly to make it all happen.

Thanks a bunch Bobby. I really appreciate your help. BTW, i used your youtube videos quite heavily for my keezer that I just finished. once i get my tap handles (keg connection sent me the perlicks without the handles by accident) I will take pics and post them. I did a little thinking on my own as mine was a little different with affixing the collar to the lid as the collar did not sit flat on the lid... but in the end it is there. I cant wait to get my caramel vanilla creme ale and this porter finished to pull my first pint :)

Ok, try this. Bump your DME up to 4lbs.

Remove one pound of 2 row. Now you're down to only 6 pounds of grains. You can mash thick at 1qt/lb which is only 1.5 gallons. When you remove the grain bag, you should have about 1 gallon in the pot due to absorption. You should still be able to sparge 2 gallons. Since you have two 2 gallon pots, use both with one gallon of water in each. Heat to 180-185F. Dunk the bag in the first one, stir, lift and let drip. Drop it in the second pot stire, lift and let drip. Throw out the grain and combine the now 3 gallons into your 4 gallon pot.

It's always best to get specialty grains to mash because you get the most out of them. Steeping gets you 10-30% extraction where mashing can go as high as 90%. Munich has enough enzymes to convert itself and "some" of the other grains. The one pound of 2-row should help with the rest.

thanks a bunch Bobby! I really appreciate it! I was going to buy these ingredients today but didnt want to jump the gun. I will pick them up tomorrow, hopefully bottle my hard cider and then start primary for this porter as well.

Everything went well except one thing... in the 2 gallon pots with 1 gallon of water in there, you cant add the grains without it spilling over... trust me :)

I just kinda combined the two pots, poured some in the other and dipped it, let it drain out, put that into the wort pot, added some more to the other pot, dipped it, let it drain, add that to the wort pot , etc.

Thanks again for the help! I cant wait to drink this!

Back