Automation Component References

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l3asturd

Reaction score
Just like a lot of other forums, I'd like to see a sticky or something with an easy place to find links and information on the most popular and best products to use for automating your brewery.

I personally am not very far along in the automation process, but I know it is a matter of time...

Here are some resources I have found to be very useful.

BrewTroller Automation System - Open Source Control Systems
BCS (Brewery Control System) - Embedded Control Concepts
Arduino Control - Arduino CC
Programmable Controllers (PLC) - Automation Direct
2-way and 3-way 12VDC motorized valves - OSCSYS.com (When in stock) or TFJT
2-way motorized valves group buy PM HBT member Squeeky
Solenoid Valves - DudaDiesel.com
Solenoid valves are best suited for controlling the flow of water. The have a fast reaction time. They have been known to fail when used with wort due to buildup causing the membrane to fail. Motorized valves are recommended for wort.
Pilot Gas Valves - PexSupply.com or air-n-water.com
Affordable PID - Auber Instruments
(1 review)
120/240VAC pushbutton illuminated switch - Auber Instruments (1 review)
LED Indicators, DIN rails, Enclosures, etc - ebrewsupply.com
Panel Tags - Signs Banners and Tags
Custom Front Panels - Front Panel Express
Terminal Blocks, E-stops, various parts and accessories - Automation Direct or PartsExpress

I'll post suggestions or changes to links. Please post your resources for automation information and products.

I had purchased a lot of motorized ball valves and sold in classifieds. I would be willing to do the same if this subforum takes off. However if I was purchasing for a profit I would need vendor membership and may not be worth the trouble. I could offer the valves for $40 or possibly a little cheaper if deposit made before order. Had to order qty of 50 to make it worth while.

I bought my circuit breakers, terminal blocks, wire duct, e-stop mushroom and illuminated power switch from Tier1Automation.

Their site layout is not that great, but they have great prices, free shipping, and you can buy just 1 of something if that's all you need.

Deleted, commented then realized the mobile app messed up margins, thought you had me listed for solenoids.

Uses the same source as goingmad :)

If you place an order direct from China, I encourage you to get multiple quotes. I was given different pricing depending on who replied to the e-mail. Also have to factor in wire transfer, customs, and shipping (Was roughly 25% of my order cost).

I use Spark fun for a lot of little knick knack parts like FET's, diodes, chips and even PC board fabrication. Cheap and fast delivery.
WCB

Uses the same source as goingmad :)

If you place an order direct from China, I encourage you to get multiple quotes. I was given different pricing depending on who replied to the e-mail. Also have to factor in wire transfer, customs, and shipping (Was roughly 25% of my order cost).

If the customer service answering to my request is a girl, I usually attach a portrait of mine, just to be sure to receive the best price!

Brad_pitt_rid.jpg

:mug:

I used automationdirect as well as pioneerbreaker quite a bit for my build. All I'm missing now are motorized valves to go 100% automated.

PexSupply.Com is an excellent choice for Gas Valves, Pilots etc.
The link provided in the first post for a gas valve was $30 less at PexSupply

We use Automation Direct. Pioneer breaker's selection is not as good and they have made mistakes on 4 orders

Front Panel Express needs mentioning

Added some suggestions.

I talked with TxBrew and we got a star system added to HBT smilies. So please give a review on a distributor of you've had a great experience or a horrible experience with them.

Star categories (0 stars for worst, 5 star for best):
Overall experience
Price
Product Quality
Shipping Time
Customer Service

My example:
Auber Instruments - ordered illuminated pushbuttons, temp probes, various other parts.
Overall experience -:eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::hs:
Price - :eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar:
Quality - :eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::hs::es:
Shipping - :eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar:
Customer Service - :eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar:

ok looks like smilies are working!
Code:
type :onestar: for full star
type :hs: for half star
type :es: for empty star
:eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::hs::es:

Or just click on the smilies menu