Head retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puravida286

Reaction score
What are some things that can be done to create a nice creamy head that doesn't dissapear after a few sips. I've heard that steeping a cup of oatmeal will help. Any other suggestions?

The steeping grains (assuming you are an extract brewer like me), in addition to infusing color, will also leave behind proteins that will aid in head retention. If you have not used them, try them. Also, over time, head retention will almost always improve, and the size of the bubbles will diminish.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Adjuncts certainly contribute different mouthfeels, but I don't really believe in them for head retention. Check out this article:

http://***********/departments/1410.html

Some of the articles from BYO are written at a fourth grade book report level. First they did this, then they did this, then they did this, blah blah blah. The information is certainly there, but they could package it a bit.

I use CaraPils for a creamier head as in my stouts, porters, and weizens. What you say? Wheat AND CaraPils.....oh yeah!

:cross:

A much more experienced brewer told me never to use dish soap to wash your brewing equipment.

Anything that adds thickness or mouthfeel to the beer will help the head a little bit. Licorice is the only thing that I know of that is specifically used to help Head retention. That Heading Powder is probably powdered licorice.

But the more steeped specialty grains you use the better head retention is. More proteins? I cannot be for sure, but it sounds plausable. Proteins would make the beer thicker and thickness corresponds directly to head retention..

Dougjones: the AHS heading powder is corn sugar and gum arabic.

Here's why:

"Gum arabic reduces the surface tension of liquids, which leads to increased fizzing in carbonated beverages. This is known as a Mentos eruption and can be seen in The Diet Coke & Mentos Experiments."

Sounds like it will make a short lasting head if it reduces surface tension. That would not be what I want. I bet the beer goes flat in a short period of time also.

Perhaps I'm wrong about this, but it seems to me that something that is called "heading powder" and claims to increase head retention wouldn't reduce head retention.

So far, I've only used it once, in my Citrus IPA, and the head retention is great.

Back