Starting a University Homebrew Club

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpogo

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with setting up a homebrew club at their college or university?

I know a few professors that brew, in fact they are the ones that got me into this hobby(addiction). I've heard there are other students as well that are into brewing.

I'm hoping by the time I graduate the club can become a "recognized student organization" (which means club finding). However one issue I'm rather unsure of is underage members.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The closest school I've found that has a homebrew club seems to be UIUC - https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ro/www/BoneyardUnionofZymurgicalZealots/

Of note, I'm a student at Missouri S&T(formerly University of Missouri: Rolla, formerly Missouri School of Mines).

I started an official university homebrew club at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee my senior year. I didn't have much time and it never developed past a few gatherings and a group of guys brewing together, but the ground work was laid. I called it the Amateur Collegiate Brewers at UWM. My plan was to try and spread the club to other universities to promote the hobby and the beer industry in general.

My idea was to bring all disciplines into the club. For example, business model competitions, marketing plans, art work (labels), and of course brew science and engineering for equipment. I drafted a waiver that all members had to sign to join stating their age with their driver's license number and a copy of their driver's license as proof of age. We allowed underagers to participate in all non-brewing activities but strictly enforced our bylaws concerning alcohol to avoid serious legal problems.

My student senate was totally behind me and even approved $15,000 of school resources to build an on site student brewery. However, before I got the check, our legal dept. got wind and stepped in. Risk management disapproved and I was mired in a legal debate with the school. I was not able to resolve the issues before I graduated and the club has since died.

If you start this as a Junior or at least have a full year to devote to building the club infrastructure this could become a legitimate nation wide thing, which would be awesome! I contacted all my local brewers and they were all very inthusiastic to help in any way they could. I would suggest trying that.

I will send you any info I can find tonight at home. I may still have some of my proposals and whatnot. I know I have my logo and artwork, which were pretty sweet.

Good luck, and PM me if you ever have any questions.

Cheers,
Justin

Ohh, that's going to be a real tuffy. Not saying it can't be done, but just reminding you that you are up against a lot. It's not like a horseshoe or debate club :fro:. You may always have to operate under a non-official flag. I could (and hopefully am) be wrong.

Alcohol Policy: Recognized Student Organizations

Alcoholic beverages: Recognized student organizations shall comply with all state and federal laws and local ordinances regulating the sale, possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages. It is a violation of Missouri law for any person under the age of 21 to purchase, attempt to purchase, or have in their possession any alcoholic beverages. It is also a violation of Missouri law to sell alcoholic beverages without the appropriate licenses. It is a violation of University regulations to use, sell, purchase, or serve alcoholic beverages on University property unless specifically approved by the Chancellor.

The possession, use, and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages by University-recognized clubs and organizations (RSO's) and at campus events, must conform with policies established by the Board of Curators, the Missouri University of Science and Technology, local ordinances, and state law. (This includes clubs, organizations, and campus events that include but are not limited to, professional societies, academic honoraries, athletic teams, service, departmental, and social organizations, and booster club and alumni events.)

Consumption and purchase of alcoholic beverages by minors (people under the age of 21) and selling or giving alcoholic beverages to minors is prohibited by law.

Alcohol shall not be a part of new membership recruitment programs.

A risk management seminar (e.g. discussion of alcohol policy, alcohol education, low-risk partying, confrontation and intervention skills, referral resources, and liability issues) will be provided by the University. Representatives of recognized student organizations that have events which include alcoholic beverages will attend these semi-annually. Faculty advisors will be encouraged to attend. Other RSO's and their advisors must sign a form stating they are exempt from this requirement and return it to the Department of Student Life at the beginning of each semester.

Alcoholic beverages may not be provided as awards.

This is your Alcohol Policy for Student Organizations.

Given that your org. will be about alcohol, I would expect some negative or harsh feedback. I would contact several of your faculty members that are interested in homebrewing and the scientists that study areas related to homebrewing. I have met a microbiologist that loved the science behind fermentation. Support like that will help you go along ways as they have more "merit' on campus than students.

I have bolded the regulations that would/could give you problems. First, I would schedule a meeting with the Chancellor and present your idea with written proposals, guidelines, internal regulations, and a rough draft of your org's mission statement. Also provide a signed letter from each faculty member that is willing to support your group.

The second bolded line is too vague and could be interepreted as "membership is strongly related to alcohol". Would this mean that prior understanding or experience would prohibit membership? I would probably petition that this line be more clearly defined.

Finally, I think this is an AWESOME idea and should be strongly pursued.

Good luck:rockin:

I'm thinking that second line has something to do with our St. Pat's organization that used to not be a recognized student organization. I should ask for clarification on that to be sure it is just an anti-hazing regulation.

Thanks for finding that so quickly, our campus is dry so I figured any meetings where people will bring in brews to sample were going to have to occur off-campus.

Yeah, pretty much all colleges are like that. I am 100% positive that a local brewery or brewpub will donate space for your group. My local brewery donated for us, and the head brewer even offered to do seminars for us. I never got that far, but that info was very impressive to the pencil pushing types at the University.

Dear Justin,

Your story was great too bad you could really never get the club to kick off as you really hoped. So I must say I am interested in attempting at starting an unofficial club at my university that is revolved around home brewing. I have some experience in the field, but I know it is a daunting task. I would expect that contacting local breweries would be a great way to start. But since you have had some experience with this, I was wondering if you could just give me some pointers or suggestions. I know this will take a lot of behind the scenes work and I am willing to put forth that effort, but since you have already gone through this maybe you could give me some guidelines. Thanks for the help.

Garrett
I started an official university homebrew club at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee my senior year. I didn't have much time and it never developed past a few gatherings and a group of guys brewing together, but the ground work was laid. I called it the Amateur Collegiate Brewers at UWM. My plan was to try and spread the club to other universities to promote the hobby and the beer industry in general.

My idea was to bring all disciplines into the club. For example, business model competitions, marketing plans, art work (labels), and of course brew science and engineering for equipment. I drafted a waiver that all members had to sign to join stating their age with their driver's license number and a copy of their driver's license as proof of age. We allowed underagers to participate in all non-brewing activities but strictly enforced our bylaws concerning alcohol to avoid serious legal problems.

My student senate was totally behind me and even approved $15,000 of school resources to build an on site student brewery. However, before I got the check, our legal dept. got wind and stepped in. Risk management disapproved and I was mired in a legal debate with the school. I was not able to resolve the issues before I graduated and the club has since died.

If you start this as a Junior or at least have a full year to devote to building the club infrastructure this could become a legitimate nation wide thing, which would be awesome! I contacted all my local brewers and they were all very inthusiastic to help in any way they could. I would suggest trying that.

I will send you any info I can find tonight at home. I may still have some of my proposals and whatnot. I know I have my logo and artwork, which were pretty sweet.

Good luck, and PM me if you ever have any questions.

Cheers,
Justin

I would love to help in any way I can. The real key is to make a professional and "grown up" presentation. The old nervous types in the U will think you just want to make hooch and get drunk. You have to sell it as a legitimate activity of responsible people.

Get some legitimate people to advocate for you. Local brewers, marketing people (if you want to bring that aspect into it), faculty, etc. Dress nice to meetings, and write your forms out well.

I can help with writeups etc. if you want. PM me and we can swap email addresses.

Get support from the biology department. My wife thinks this is like an over blown high school science fair project. I have to admit, that is some of the appeal....

there's also a dude who started one at iowa state, i think he started a thread on here. scroll down past the end of the thread/quick reply area of the page and you will see similar threads to the one you started here, the ohio u one is at the top of the list.

I feel that the local breweries here would really do a great job of helping me present my case. There are so many aspects to the idea of brewing beer such as engineering, science, creativity, art (labels, names, etc...), and just overall the general knowledge gained of the brewing process. My only problem is just the start. I think I really need to start writing things out and start talking to the brewers and maybe ask for their help as well. I do not want to approach the university until I am ready and have a legitimate presentation and proposal written out. Any feedback and advice will help.

I would love to help in any way I can. The real key is to make a professional and "grown up" presentation. The old nervous types in the U will think you just want to make hooch and get drunk. You have to sell it as a legitimate activity of responsible people.

Get some legitimate people to advocate for you. Local brewers, marketing people (if you want to bring that aspect into it), faculty, etc. Dress nice to meetings, and write your forms out well.

I can help with writeups etc. if you want. PM me and we can swap email addresses.

I am so jealous, I wish I could do something like this. In fact, I have already thought about it. But I would find myself in federal pound-me-in-the-a$$ prison if I tried to do that at my University. The closest I could get would be maybe a Beer connisseur club, but I wouldn't have time to manage that in between class, shotgun sports club, and German club. Although I have found time to join the 100 Beer club at the local Mellow Mushroom (looking forward to my 20oz personalized Imperial pint glass for the price of a 16oz'er).

I know at my alma mater, Johnson & Wales University (in Providence, RI), there is an official club recognized by the university called JBrew (a funny take on JWU). I'm not sure how it got started but I do know that JWU is a well known culinary school so I'm sure that helped. We even had/have classes for people who wanted to become a sommelier and other classes such as beverage appreciation.

I know the club itself does have some commercial grade equipment in one of the university buildings. They also do things such as tour breweries, have guest lectures (Sam from DFH actually came to speak at the school and held a private tasting), and have group brew sessions. I'm just guess it will just come down to the school itself. I know JWU is actually a dry campus but they saw brewing as an art and a potential career path for culinary students so they found it to be an appropriate club. I hope this helps some! Best of luck!

I am starting one up at CSU Pueblo Now. I know it has been about two years since the last response, but I thought I would let those who read it now and later. We have gain acceptance as a club and we are a dry campus as well. We have also limited the membership to 21+. I am about to as for start up funds at the college and see if I can get a bunch of money. We are also planning on going to a few breweries, wineries and distilleries.

Back