Leak caused by washer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayMac

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So my AG system is completely ready to brew my first AG batch (EdWort's Haus Pale Ale)-well sort of. I have leak tested my mash tun, it doesn't leak when hand tightened. My HLT with spigot, sightglass, and thermometer doesn't leak when I tighten the locknuts inside about a quarter turn with a wrench. And finally, my BK leaks.

Before tightening my HLT spigot (it leaked when hand tightened), I observed leaking that was dripping from the washer. This is the same place that the boil kettle is leaking from.

The assembly goes as follows: locknut on the inside threaded onto the nipple, against the pot wall on the outside, there is a silicone washer which is compressed against the wall of the container by a 3/4" plated washer (no need for SS as it's not in contact with wort), and finally, the ball valve w/ hose barb is threaded onto the nipple so that the silicone gasket is crushed to make a seal.

So far, none of my assemblies have worked when hand tightened (my mash tun manifold fits very tightly, when creates a really good seal against the tuns original gasket. I've tried the silicone gasket on the inside, and on the outside, I found the outside to provide the best results.

Does anyone have any thought on what I can do/what I am doing wrong? I hope to brew tomorrow, so hopefully I can make a fix!

Thanks again!

Are you using teflon tape? Most leaks occur along the threads ...

I have a couple wraps of white teflon around the tips of each end of each nipple... I shouldn't have to wrap the middle though right?

I guess since I'm using white I should try wrapping it a few more times?

Back