Quick disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StumpysBrew

Reaction score
So I bought a cheap pump on ebay, the one from THIS thread and I wanted to get some fittings for it. I checked out the cam locks at bargain fittings and it added up to almost 100 bones of fittings and hoses to hook up my 20 dollar pump.

I was wondering why couldn't I use brass air fittings? Do most people not use them for the brass aspect or is it the reduced flow or is there other parts internal that are not food safe?

Worse comes to worse I suppose I could just use hose barbs. They're not that hard to slide on and off. I'm on a budget and it may suck doing 10 gallon batches without a pump and a cfc and quick disconnects but I'm more worried about the quality of the beer I make than of my equipment I use to make it with. However if I can have those things and not blow out the bank than I'm all about making whatever I can work. So why can't/shouldn't I be using those air fittings?

You didn't mention if your fittings were std sizes. I just bought the SS QC fittings and connections for my March pump system to upgrade from gravity feed. The total including shipping came to $34.
Penny wise pound foolish? I don't know.

Ya know thank you for putting my perspective straight again. Sometimes in my quest to do everything on the cheap I over look whats really required. I'd spend more adapting these pneumatic fittings than I would if I just bought what I needed. Just spent 67.56 on cam locks at bargain fittings for everything I would need plus a cooler bulkhead kit for the 60 quart cube cooler I picked up at Lowes for 27 bucks.

Back