Stalled fermentation please help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beno1

Reaction score
Ive put on a american pale ale its been fermenting fine lots off airlock action then at day 4 it seemes to have stopped on 1018. My recipe was
1 can of coopers real ale
1.5 liqiud light malt
200g of crystal grain cracked and steeped for 35 min
20g cascade hops steep 20 min
10 g nelson steep for 20 mins
15 g of nelson 0min
Safale us05

I pitched at about 25 degrees celcius then dropped to 20 degrees. Was going fine but seems to have stalled now. Any reasons why this is happning?? Or help to get it going again.

what was your OG? You can stir up the yeast by swirling your carboy or bucket - you can re-pitch more yeast, maybe do a starter and pitch it. Not seeing any airlock activity is not always an indication fermentation has stoped either. so check the gravity again in 24 hours.

Relax man, have you made beer before? I think this is best left alone for another week or more.

OG was 1044. Ive made a few batches before which turned out very nice. I took a reading yestaday and it was at 1018 took another reading 24 hours later( tonight) and is still at 1018. Would it be ok to take lid off and stir and lift the temp up to 24 ish?? Maybe that will restart it? If not i will make a starter. Whats the best way to do a starter?

Or what capt walt said maybe i should leave it for another week? But if the reading hasnt moved in 24 hours i dont think its going to after a week.

do a you tube search for "yeast starter" - a video or two will best explain how to get one done with out a stir plate - etc. a pretty simple way to do it: you pitch some yeast in a jar with some wort or sugar water mixture and let it take off for 24 hours, then pitch it into your beer. again, check online for yeast starter tutorials for more detailed info.

if it hasn't moved in 24 to 48 hours then its probably not going to. - stir up the yeast cake on the bottom and see if it kicks off again.

Ok no worries ill give the fermenter a bit of a swirl around and check it again i. A day or so if it hasnt changed ill pitch a starter. Ill check out youtube now. Thanks for your help. Appriciate it.

I gave it a good swirl around abd put the heat pad on and shes bubbling aeay again

Back