i just plain don't believe this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wine is becoming more "cool", and is associated with the sheek high class lifestyle.

Maybe it is. Not in my house tho! You gotta take polls like that with a grain of salt. But hey, alotta my younger friends prefer booze and wine to beer. Maybe it's the flashy advertising and things like UV with all their kool-aide goodness! :ban:

Irrelevant really as it's comparing apples and oranges. It doesn't indicate people are changing from beer to wine drinkers. It just more wine is now being consumed than beer. Winos for the win! Woopteefreakingdoo! (I drink both - just find it funny that someone is likely getting paid something to pull together this meaningless info)

They apparently haven't seen the videos with beer & food parings by Brooklyn brewery. They had wine too,& many a wine head has been converted. The thing is,wine "compliments/contrasts" food. Beer can "meld" with it harmoniously,being a food product itself.

I feel like telephone polling is actually becoming a more unreliable method of sampling since it excludes most people in my peer group who have dropped landlines in favor of cell phones.

My wife is past that stage,& she still prefers beer. Wine is ok once in a while,but give us the beer! She loves my ales more than BMC's,but isn't unabashed to drinking them when that's all we can afford. She'll drink a dark beer once in a while,but doesn't prefer them. She will sit down with me,a bottle of Quervo gold,& some rose's lime juice.

My girlfriend likes beer more than wine. I like both pretty much equally. Some days I'm in the mood for wine, some days I'm in the mood for beer. It's okay to like both ;)

joe

crap. I just got into brewing beer and now I have to switch to wine? Or does this mean I have to do both to make sure I am cool :)

Keep in mind that this includes all beer. Craft beer is growing well each year, so if there was indeed a drop it beer drinking, the largest hit was taken by the Macros.

crap. I just got into brewing beer and now I have to switch to wine? Or does this mean I have to do both to make sure I am cool :)

I think to be really cool you would need to distill your own spirits. Only don't do it in the US because our nancy-pants government tends to frown on it.

I've always been a winemaker first, and a brewer second. Bob much prefers wine, at least with meals. He loves my beer, too, but he is much more excited about our wines. And since he retired, he has certain wines that he loves for certain meals.

For example, for breakfast he usually has a light red, almost rose', plum wine or a white like the sauvignon blanc. For lunch today, it was blackberry wine. Tonight we'll have oaked chokecherry with a NY strip steak.

I don't drink nearly as much as he does, and I drink far more beer than wine.

I used to drink wine, beer, and tequila in close to equal quantities. Wine was a dinner staple for a long time before we had my daughter. Between the two of us, dinner almost always meant a bottle.

Now I've cut back big time and focus my drinking on my homebrew. Gotta have priorities!

I drink beer or wine depending on my mood mostly, and sometimes the food, or the company.

I pretty much never drink hard alcohol.

+1 on the earlier observation that this would be largely influenced by gender. I can't think of a single female co-worker, relative or real-life friend (HBT friends excluded) who would say they prefer beer to wine.

Wine is becoming more "cool", and is associated with the sheek high class lifestyle.

Chic?

cd-cover.jpg

sheek?

sheek.jpg

or sheik?

iron_sheik.jpg

personal rule of life:
White Bordeaux goes good with smoked fish, but so does ipa's
and Oatmeal stout goes good with eggs but so does Champagne

drink what tastes good to you and be happy

I have a hard time believing those statistics, but that is because of my strong dislike for wine.
I tried really hard to appreciate wine. I did tastings and tried a lot of different types of wines over several years and could never get to the point where I could say "I really like this" about any wines.
SWMBO and I went on a double date about a year and a half ago to a winery/restaurant. I sampled all of the wines with them, but when it came dinner time, they all shared a couple bottles of wine, and I ordered a martini. The owner jokingly told me that wasn't allowed.
When I started homebrewing, it just completely killed wine for me. I've almost completely stopped drinking wine, and don't even care to do wine tastings anymore. SWMBO loves wine and only drinks beer occasionally, but I am slowly trying to convert her to the dark side. She likes 'Cream of 3 Crops' and asked me to make it again for her.

I find it hard to believe that there are people that are going to pony up for pricey wine, however wineries are springing up every where around missouri.....

I drink both, although more beer lately now that I can make it. My wife is a big wine fan. Ironically, a friend of mine has a high ranking position with a local large beer distributor, an sees the wine industry as a direct competitor, along with the other beer distributors in town. Took me by surprise.

I drink both, although more beer lately now that I can make it. My wife is a big wine fan. Ironically, a friend of mine has a high ranking position with a local large beer distributor, an sees the wine industry as a direct competitor, along with the other beer distributors in town. Took me by surprise.

well, a bottle of wine is a potential 6-pack sale. or two.

Meh- I just can't do the wine thing, and liquor is something I would only go to if my entire goal was to get lit (which it never is).

Fortunately SWMBO hates wine too. To me it either tastes like fruit juice or sand paper, depending on the type.

Seems to me that their sample size is too small. How could the preference for beer drop 12% in a single year? They say beer preference went from 51% in 2010 to 39% in 2011.

That seems like an extremely drastic change that could only be attributed to sampling error, rather than an actual shift that large in 1 year.

Seems to me that their sample size is too small. How could the preference for beer drop 12% in a single year? They say beer preference went from 51% in 2010 to 39% in 2011.

That seems like an extremely drastic change that could only be attributed to sampling error, rather than an actual shift that large in 1 year.

Exactly my thoughts. The majority of these types of poles are bogus.

weirdboy said:
I feel like telephone polling is actually becoming a more unreliable method of sampling since it excludes most people in my peer group who have dropped landlines in favor of cell phones.

Looks like they took that into account - about 40% of respondents were via cellphone. Polling companies are well aware of this fact these days, and SHOULD be taken into account. Given that it is such a well-known factor, any poll that could that ignores it is, at best flawed in its methodology, and at worst intentionally including that bias.

Matty22 said:

Sample size for the whole survey is actually pretty adequate, assuming good methodology. But that drop only occurred in a single set (young adults), which is probably only about a third of the survey's sample size, and so on its own has a wider margin of error. The more specifically you look at it, the more inaccurate it is going to get - the poll was really only set up to draw a meaningful conclusion from the ENTIRE sample.

Back